Smash asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 3 months ago

Do you believe in Karma?

Yes. Reincarnation too. They seem to explain too much to ignore as a potentially valid way to explain the experiences different people have in this life. Westerners may debate this considerably more than those in the East, but there seems to be evidence for them even in the Bible. Even in the West there are cases of very young children having detailed knowledge of people, places and events it seems virtually impossible they could have known without having lived previous existences. I actually did a past life hypnotic regression years ago during which I relived a memory of being a Native American who was killed while acting as a scout for his tribe. I later found out my father had done a genealogy of his family and uncovered that there was an actual Indian scout way back in his family tree. I’m not making this up. Oddly, from a certain age I had felt like I belonged in the woods and wild settings more than ‘civilized’ ones... felt a spiritual connection to nature as these people had...

Yes I do...............

Definitely, i believe it.

• Cousin

Properly understood, Karma is "Action" so yes, Smash.

Ehh...hard to say. I believe there may be a next life where you "pay" for everything, but I'm not 100 percent sure it works like that. Certainly in this life too many miserable pricks get what they want when they want it, and get laid all the time too.

• Git

Depends on what you mean by karma. If your idea of karma is divine retribution, justice or judgement - an eye for an eye, then no. But if by karma you mean cause and effect, you doing something that leads to some result, then yes.

Example:

A certain kind man helped a lot of people. One day, he is going through a difficult time. One of the many people he helped in the past came to his help out of gratitude and to repay him for his past kindness.

A certain nasty man is always mistreating others. One day, when he is having a difficult time, no one came to help him because of what he did to them in the past.

Everyone have good and bad times at certain point in their life. If divinely dispensed karma is real, then good people will never have bad times and bad people will never have good times.

If god is real, good people should never have suffered bad times, test of faith or not, and bad people should never have good times.

Me, I believe in cause and effect karma.

• j153e

Sowing and reaping constitute the process of "karma," which is both this-lifely and past and future livesly. Biblical notion ~ = an embodied individual lives once, then is evaluated. Thus the similarity is justice or justness, and the goals are similar: establishing permanent residence with Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva, or Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The difference is: does one have personal knowledge of prior life, such as Paramhansa Yogananda did at his Incarnation https://www.ananda.org/autobiography/#chap1 or as did the child of Bruce Leininger ("Soul Survivor"), or other children studied by Dr. Jim Tucker ("Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives").

It is an example of "karma" when someone decides a question = a survey ("Poll") rather than a more common form of asking "What do you think of karma, what is your explanation if any?", and moves said question to Polls and Surveys. It is an example of the problem of "other minds" or, more accurately, "other mindfulness," when a budding philosopher overlays her perception like a carpenter with one tool (e.g., a piece of sandpaper), thereby categorizing all problems as needing sandpapering. A similar process (Whitehead pun intended, he having identified the fallacy of overgeneralization and developed process philosophy and process religion) occurs in religions, and, more reductively, in secular ideologies.

Related:

The Path of the Higher Self;

The Reincarnation of Edgar Cayce?;

Man, Master of His Destiny;

Beams from Meher Baba.

• atomic fireball

in this previous incarnation and whose detailed information about those fellow pilots was subsequently confirmed by living relatives.

• chorle

Yes, not specifically Karma but there is truth in the Biblical verse about "you reap/harvest what you sow/plant"

Yes I believe in karma theory and naturally in the theory of rebirth..You will have to take full responsibility for all your actions . You will reap what you sow..If you do good deeds you will certainly enjoy the benefits either in this life or in the next.If you do bad deeds you will suffer either in this life or the next.Whatever you achieve in this life is the result of your deeds of this life and past lives.If you suffer in this life due to poverty, disease etc. are all due to the effect of your actions in previous lives'God is impartial and gives his children the fruit of their efforts, good or bad.By repentance, prayers and good deeds to your fellow beings, you can seek forgiveness from God and he can nullify the effects of your bad deeds.

Boy George made a fortune on Karma Chameleon, so HE believes in it.