Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 3 months ago

Why don’t customers ever tip cooks?

Me and my girlfriend both have the same job at a restaurant

She’s a waitress, im a cook

She gets atleast 50$ in tips and i get nothing

I actually make the customers food, all she does is bring it out to them

If anything I deserve more tips than she does

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

You make a higher hourly wage than she does. You do not have the same jobs.

• Erik

That's why I always walk into the kitchen after I'm done eating, and hand them a few bucks.

Are you making at least minimum wage? I imagine you are, and she is not. Personally I think it should be illegal for an employer to pay less than minimum wage and expect the difference to be made up by customers. ***** to your manager if you don't like the system they set up.

• Nuff Sed

There is no legal way your average server in the USA makes less than minimum wage.

You don't have the same job.

You have the same employer.

You are a chef and she is part of waitstaff.

"She gets atleast 50$ in tips and i get nothing" which is not true. You received a base pay rate that is likely more than hers.

"all she does is bring it out to them " which is again not true. She takes their order, confirms that they have everything they need and runs around filling drinks.

"If anything I deserve more tips than she does" based on the way you present your attitude in this note, you are unlikely to earn very much as waitstaff. You come across as a curmudgeon. But you are free to apply for an open waitstaff position, if you would like.

Only because it isn't customary. In most other countries, tipping isn't even a thing. I do agree that logically if anyone gets the tip it should be the cooks.

-Kate Yelkovan

She also makes a lower wage.

This is why I hate tipping, everyone has their hand out now for a 'tip'.

• Nuff Sed

Feel free to ignore them. All tips are optional, by definition.