Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 3 months ago

Why don’t customers ever tip cooks?

Me and my girlfriend both have the same job at a restaurant

She’s a waitress, im a cook

She gets atleast 50$ in tips and i get nothing

I actually make the customers food, all she does is bring it out to them

If anything I deserve more tips than she does

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Eva
    Lv 4
    3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You make a higher hourly wage than she does. You do not have the same jobs.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

That's why I always walk into the kitchen after I'm done eating, and hand them a few bucks.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Are you making at least minimum wage? I imagine you are, and she is not. Personally I think it should be illegal for an employer to pay less than minimum wage and expect the difference to be made up by customers. ***** to your manager if you don't like the system they set up.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

There is no legal way your average server in the USA makes less than minimum wage.

• 3 months ago

You don't have the same job.

You have the same employer.

You are a chef and she is part of waitstaff.

"She gets atleast 50$ in tips and i get nothing" which is not true. You received a base pay rate that is likely more than hers.

"all she does is bring it out to them " which is again not true. She takes their order, confirms that they have everything they need and runs around filling drinks.

"If anything I deserve more tips than she does" based on the way you present your attitude in this note, you are unlikely to earn very much as waitstaff. You come across as a curmudgeon. But you are free to apply for an open waitstaff position, if you would like.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Only because it isn't customary. In most other countries, tipping isn't even a thing. I do agree that logically if anyone gets the tip it should be the cooks.

-Kate Yelkovan

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

She also makes a lower wage.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

This is why I hate tipping, everyone has their hand out now for a 'tip'.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Feel free to ignore them. All tips are optional, by definition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.