O asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 months ago

Is there a way to make love triangles work in YA fiction without getting murdered by my readers?

I've got a love triangle (which I generally hate) but it's essential to the plot. My MC is a broken, sweet girl that's really badass sometimes and her two love interests are:

A funny, outgoing girl who is terrible if she doesn't like someone. But if she does, then she's always there for them and constantly putting her friends above herself

A guy who's kinda awkward and silly. He also does his best to keep everyone around him happy and tries to be kind and respectful. Unless he's mad, then he's a real shithead and literally the worst person ever if someone really pisses him off

But, in my book, people are consumed by hatred and anger and they turn into dark creatures that feed on souls. So when my main character says she doesn't want to choose between them since there are so many other things going on and she doesn't want to hurt anyone or make the wrong choice, the guy takes it a little more personal that the girl and with that and every other crappy thing going on in my story, he gets a little messed up in the head from beginning the transformation into the creatures. He kills one of his friends, who pretty much everyone really loves and cares about. Then he leaves to go be with the creatures and follow through with the transformation. And since he got really close to my main character, he constantly tries to manipulate her and he knows about her traumatizing past that makes her cry every time someone mentions it, he uses everything he knows against her

Cliche or nah?

• Amber
    Favorite Answer

Considering that most people do dislike love triangles it can be very tricky. I don't actually see, from what you've described so far, that romance needs to feature anywhere in the plot. The guy could easily get mad over something other than your MC refusing him. Just not sure why you feel it needs to be there, doesn't seem to add anything.

The driving force of a novel is the characters and their conflicts. There are quite a few articles online about writing triangles without making it feel tacky and annoying. I've been reading some this week. So time to do some leg work and start researching. Also, look at books where the majority felt the triangle worked.

Hope that helped.

• O4 months agoReport

Cause LGBT stuff really isn't represented in many books that aren't romance novels, so I do want to have a small amount of kissing scenes and stuff, but other than that, everyone's too busy not dying to deal with relationships. Thank you, though!

If you, as the writer, hate it, then why are you putting it in your story?

NO character HAS to have love interests, they can just be real people.

• O4 months agoReport

Real people have love interests too lol, but I do have multiple characters that don't have love interests.

Cliche. Transforming creatures are so overdone.

What is YA? It's your book, you should come up all of the ideas.

• Amber

YA is Young Adult. So material written directly for a teen market.