Is there a way to make love triangles work in YA fiction without getting murdered by my readers?

I've got a love triangle (which I generally hate) but it's essential to the plot. My MC is a broken, sweet girl that's really badass sometimes and her two love interests are: A funny, outgoing girl who is terrible if she doesn't like someone. But if she does, then she's always there for them and... show more I've got a love triangle (which I generally hate) but it's essential to the plot. My MC is a broken, sweet girl that's really badass sometimes and her two love interests are:
A funny, outgoing girl who is terrible if she doesn't like someone. But if she does, then she's always there for them and constantly putting her friends above herself
A guy who's kinda awkward and silly. He also does his best to keep everyone around him happy and tries to be kind and respectful. Unless he's mad, then he's a real shithead and literally the worst person ever if someone really pisses him off
But, in my book, people are consumed by hatred and anger and they turn into dark creatures that feed on souls. So when my main character says she doesn't want to choose between them since there are so many other things going on and she doesn't want to hurt anyone or make the wrong choice, the guy takes it a little more personal that the girl and with that and every other crappy thing going on in my story, he gets a little messed up in the head from beginning the transformation into the creatures. He kills one of his friends, who pretty much everyone really loves and cares about. Then he leaves to go be with the creatures and follow through with the transformation. And since he got really close to my main character, he constantly tries to manipulate her and he knows about her traumatizing past that makes her cry every time someone mentions it, he uses everything he knows against her
Cliche or nah?