Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 7 months ago

What are some good reasons why a high school kid should learn how to play the bagpipes?

Now, I am really interested in learning the bagpipes, but my mother finds the instrument quite useless. (She prefers I take violin, or a more “useful and common” instrument.) She thinks that it’s not worth the trouble to learn such an instrument. How can I convince her to let me learn the bagpipes? Is there any practical reason why a person should learn the bagpipes? (My mom will not take “it’s my passion” as a valid reason.) We can afford everything, by the way, she just believes I should take another instrument.

Favorite Answer

People gravitate towards different Instruments for a reason I think. Bon Scott of AC/DC played the bagpipes by the way. I wanted to learn the saxophone when I was in school and people laughed at me. I never did learn it but was p!ssed they were laughing because I thought it had a nice sound. They say it’s very close to the human voice. I ended up playing piano guitar drums and other instruments instead. But I think people get drawn to certain instruments for a reason. Maybe you were a Scottish Highlander in a former lifetime, who knows? Whatever you play you can master it and be a virtuoso on it. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull decided to take up the flute as a rock instrument and he made quite a good living for himself by playing it as front man for the band. Also, the breath control that you learn playing the bagpipes could carryover to other wind instruments. And learning any musical instrument trains your ear, fingers, rhythm, timing, etc. so you can learn others as well. Go for it

• mars

There's always work playin the bagpipes!

• WOOWHO

for FUNERALS a limited market but in demand

my husband told me he wants a BAG PIPER at his funeral ....

actually they are FEW and can be expensive

• Cogito

Only because you want to.

However, there are a few reasons why you should not.

They are very loud. Will you be disturbing your family, neighbours, passers-by, etc, if you start practising?

It take years to make a good sound - do you have the patience?

It's not an orchestral instrument, so you'd be very much on your own.

They have a fairly limited range.

Why not consider something which you could later use to join an orchestra, like an oboe, a clarinet or a bassoon?

• Hernando

There are practice chanters to keep the noise down. Every bagpiper has one or more of them.

It’s a fantastic skill

cause you want to

Just say it s what you really want to do and that s the choice you ve made. I m not sure where you live, but bagpipes are really popular in Scotland still today. There s someone playing bagpipes on every street in Edinburgh and they seem to making a slow entrance into some rap/hip-hop songs.

• Susie

I absolutely love bagpipes. There’s no law against learning to play two instruments. Make your mom a deal.

to drive the neighbors crazy ????

• oikoσ

Lack of competition.