Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 years ago

Why do some on the far-left deliberately erase the distinction between legal and illegal immigration?

Almost twenty-five years ago, my parents and I emigrated to the United States from England (my parents emigrated there six years earlier from Sudan). We came here on a J1 visa, and it took us eighteen years to become citizens.

In the heated debate over illegal immigration, I notice that many progressives react to even the most modest measure of border enforcement with overwrought accusations of there being a "racist" pr "anti-immigrant" agenda made to stop the so-called "browning of America."

I feel that this kind of pointed language short circuits a badly needed discussion. Isn't it insulting to mutually associate those who came here through the formal process with those who didn't?

Or*.

Mr. Smartypants, it isn't a straw man. Many progressives do it as a silencing tactic.

To ibu guru: It was probably an H1, then. I must've conflated them.

Favorite Answer

The Left does that so they can falsely claim anyone who wants the immigration laws enforced is "anti-immigrant" and therefore RACIST. Realize they can't argue any issue on the merits so they call everyone who disagrees with them a racist.

J-1 visa is NOT an immigration visa. It is a temporary visa, and you were supposed to return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of 2 years upon completing J-1 before you could apply for any future visa. How you eventually got citizenship took a lot of manipulation.

Still, you are now citizens, and rightfully insulted by those who equate illegal aliens with "immigrants."