Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 years ago

Why do some on the far-left deliberately erase the distinction between legal and illegal immigration?

Almost twenty-five years ago, my parents and I emigrated to the United States from England (my parents emigrated there six years earlier from Sudan). We came here on a J1 visa, and it took us eighteen years to become citizens.

In the heated debate over illegal immigration, I notice that many progressives react to even the most modest measure of border enforcement with overwrought accusations of there being a "racist" pr "anti-immigrant" agenda made to stop the so-called "browning of America."

I feel that this kind of pointed language short circuits a badly needed discussion. Isn't it insulting to mutually associate those who came here through the formal process with those who didn't?

Update:

Or*.

Update 2:

Mr. Smartypants, it isn't a straw man. Many progressives do it as a silencing tactic.

Update 3:

To ibu guru: It was probably an H1, then. I must've conflated them.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Left does that so they can falsely claim anyone who wants the immigration laws enforced is "anti-immigrant" and therefore RACIST. Realize they can't argue any issue on the merits so they call everyone who disagrees with them a racist.

• 2 years ago

J-1 visa is NOT an immigration visa. It is a temporary visa, and you were supposed to return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of 2 years upon completing J-1 before you could apply for any future visa. How you eventually got citizenship took a lot of manipulation.

Still, you are now citizens, and rightfully insulted by those who equate illegal aliens with "immigrants."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.