Adam asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 3 months ago

why is sushi so popular/liked?

ok so i dont understand why people like sushi so much. sushi is everywhere and people are in awe for sushi. logically speaking it’s raw fish, how does it make any sense to eat raw fish? i just don’t get it i am repulsed by it. raw fish. miammmmmmm.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It's cheap, tasty, easy to eat and fairly healthy. It's not all raw fish.

• 3 months ago

Still lots of people associate Sushi as a food with raw fish & wasabi, but there are variety of sushi available.Roasted meat and grilled vegetables are popular to put on, you can go with anything you like.

More than a decade ago, carrot, cooked shiitake mushrooms, takuan (pickled radish) rolled up with nori (seaweed) were sold at the university shop at U of Toronto. Ttat sushi was regularly sold item there. Very nice and less expensive. It's also ideal for vegetarian/vegan. I also enjyoed sobamaki, used soba (buckwheat) noodle instead of vinegar seasoned rice, at the cafe near U of Toronto, bit expensive but really good.

• denise
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Its just getting past that 'Raw' title, but a lot of it is coated in lemon / lime juice and it cooks slightly in the citric acid.

• 3 months ago

It's not always raw fish. I like the california roll which has crab and that has to be cooked first, it's just served chilled. They also have veggie rolls, avacado rolls, etc

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

It's popular because to some people, it's more important to appear trendy than to eat sensibly.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Everyone has different taste buds.

It is mostly genetic but it also affected by what we grew up eating, what our taste buds have become used to, and also affected by whether or not we want to learn to like the food.

But mostly genetic.

I abhore sushi, but my daughter loves it. Go figure.

• Common Sense
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Enjoying sushi has nothing to do with genetics. I was raised in an Irish Italian close knit family where we ate traditional foods based upon Irish, Italian and American cuisine. I tried sushi for the first time when I was in my 30's. I am positively hooked and love it!! No genetics in play there.

• tony
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

the main reason why sushi is so popular is because it tastes great! People love the combination of flavors that come from combining fish, fruits, vegetables, and rice, then dipping the whole thing in soy sauce.

. Today sushi seems to be just as popular as burgers.The cool thing about sushi (nigiri) is about freshness. You are basically eating right off from the sea. The whole food is prepared in a minimalistic yet artistic way on a dish. It is a healthy snack and is not highly processed fast food, which makes it a big hit for the health-conscious people.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Because it tastes fresh and delicious. Eat it with the soy sauce. When prepared correctly, it’s safe to eat.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

Sushi is ** NOT ** popular / liked. WTF did you ever think it was?

• 3 months ago

Not all sushi is raw. Its just seen as exotic

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.