Tiffany asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 months ago

Why is everyone so afraid of high fat diets?

From my experience high fat, whole food, low carb diets work best.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Humans need a wide variety of nutrients and foods be healthy. Eating mostly fat is bad. So is eating mostly protein. So is eating mostly carbs. A balanced diet with foods from a range of food groups will result in a healthy diet for most - and if more calories are used than are consumed, you will lose weight.

(What makes 'low carb' work for many people is that most snack food is high in carbs. People DON'T tend to snack on steaks and strips of bacon -- but on fruit or cakes or cookies. So if you can't snack -- you're going to eat less. And if your main meals are also limited to a few types of foods (basically meat and green vegetables) you will get bored and ALSO eat less.)

• megalomaniac
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Well done, an actually reasonable answer about diet.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

Because it's been said and pounded into people's brains that fats make us fat. And that saturated fat causes heart disease, which isn't true at all. In fact, the man who first decided this was true, didn't have any medical or nutritional education at all. I think he had a degree in sociology, so he didn't know what he was talking about. I wish i could remember his name, but Dr. David Diamond has a video about all of this on YouTube.

What has been making the population sick are sugar, grains and REFINED oils. Natural fats, no.

• 3 months ago

High fat...lipids...clog the CV system. That leads to strokes and heart attacks. Low carb, low fat is less fraught with downside risks. But even that has to be applied with caution.

• 3 months ago

Have you ever tried VEGAN diets?

• Tiffany3 months agoReport

Vegan diets can be high fat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

People get confused by all the conflicting diet advice (mostly because it changes all the time). For a long time we were told that eating fats is "bad". New research debunks this: it's not eating fat that is unhealthy, it's being fat that is unhealthy (big difference).

But you know, taking any diet advice to extremes is not a good idea. Some fats are OK, including saturated fats, as long as you don't overdo it. Being healthy is not about maximizing this or minimizing that it's about finding the right balance.

• 3 months ago

I just dont know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.