I have a western Digital hard drive (WD - My Passport 1TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive)?

I accidentally dropped it, well luckly there were no date was just a fresh piece was about to use it, I have a question regarding it was that can I use it again like if I can take the broken hard drive out and put a spared laptop hard drive?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best Answer

yes, the damaged hard drive can be replaced. might need to contact WD for software that you don't know exists

• 2 months ago

You can swop the drive itself but most of the small passport drives have the USB connector on the HDD's board and therefore there won't be a connector board for a normal drive. If this one is different an like normal external enclosures, then you'll be good to go. Otherwise, get another enclosure as that would be a better choice.

• 2 months ago

do not trust that HDD. use a program called Hard disk sentinel. (google it and use the trial) it will tell u the health of ur disk based on the SMART data. if it is anything other than 100% then that HDD is dead and u need to get a new one.

• 2 months ago

Sure, but you will have no warranty from WD, like you do now.

And yes, you dropped it before ever using it. But how do you know it is "broken" if you never have tried to use it?

• Ahsan2 months agoReport

It is broken some cracking noises are clearly heard but I wanted to that what if I can swap a laptop hard drive in to it, I have one in spare, if I can really swap it will save my time and money

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.