Was I being targeted driving down the road?

I know this is long, but please read. I was driving home with my best friend after going out to dinner with my parents (The restaurant is in a shady part of town). We were on our way to Starbucks, everything seemed normal. I just happened to look in my rear view mirror, and I see a car tailgating me. They were... show more I know this is long, but please read.

I was driving home with my best friend after going out to dinner with my parents (The restaurant is in a shady part of town). We were on our way to Starbucks, everything seemed normal.

I just happened to look in my rear view mirror, and I see a car tailgating me. They were literally driving like an inch away from me. I got spooked and got into the left turn lane, and they followed me. I tried to get a look at whoever was in the car, but I could only make out a figure of a man driving and a woman in the passenger seat because their windows were blacked out.

The light turns green and we both turn. About 10 seconds into me driving down the road, i see the car drive up behind me and tailgate me again. I try to stay calm and keep driving. All of a sudden they zoom from behind me and get right in front of me and slammed on their brakes.

Luckily there was an entrance to a grocery store right beside me, so I laid on my horn and took a sharp turn so I wouldn’t hit them. I didn’t look behind me after I turned because me and my friend were both freaking out.

I parked in the grocery store parking lot and we walked around the store for like 10 minutes. When we walked out we didn’t see the car so we just drove to my house.

Tl;dr A car tailgated me for a bit and then swerved in front of me and slammed on their breaks (I didn’t hit them)

Does this happen often to people. Does anybody know what they were trying to accomplish?