Fancy asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 3 months ago

Yugioh vs mtg?

Which game is better and why

• I love both equally :) 

Be more specific, to whom it is better ? Competitive, lore, casual, gameplay, beginner friendly etc..

I've never played MTG but Yugioh is better because feelings and reasons and I'm right and you're wrong and stupid if you disagree and my dad can beat up your dad.

Yugioh hands down. If you learn how to play with the meta it's super fun. However, it is VERY competitive. I haven't played magic but from how my friends play it looks very similar to pokemon in the sense you have to use "Land" cards almost like "Energy" cards in pokemon. Without "Energy" cards pokemon cannot attack and without "Land" cards it seems you can't play Magic The Gathering either.. So yeah I play pokemon if I have time to play with kids but if I can't help but be competitive pokemon can't cut it. Its too slow. Yugioh is a very fast paced game where things can turn sideways fast. The spell and trap mechanic is something no other card game has ever developed. The ability to challenge then "Speed Spell" of cards is very interesting and it had a lot of inside mechanics you have to know about like Chain Links and how to resolve effects properly. Its complex. I'm not saying Magic The Gathering isn't or can't be complex, but Yugioh has the best Fast pace, technical gameplay

Source(s): Have been playing Yugioh since 2001-2002

Early on, Yu-Gi-Oh! was simpler to get into and start playing, easy rules and easy concepts. Then it got more complex and lost that edge. MTG has a steeper learning curve but more satisfying gameplay. Not to mention the art on some of those cards is amazing.

Personally I believe that MTG is currently better Yugioh I feel has suffered a bit from power creep but Magic might suffer a bit from the next set about to come out

Magic, though both have their issues and each person has their preferences. I'd rate Magic as better though due to

A-Variety of formats. Standard, Modern, EDH, etc. Casual and competitive decks have a distinct difference in the community as opposed to Yugioh where you ask someone for a casual or tournament-prep game and they ll slap down the same deck regardless

B-Consistent rules. Yugioh has a basically "random" ban list every 3 months and they'll drop game changing rules whenever they feel like it (Xyzs, then pendulums, and now, the biggest, Links)

C-Last, you're free to build how you like in Magic. You have colors you stick to, but you can mix those up. Sometimes a theme or use cards with synergy, though it's your choice. In Yugioh, you either use a deck based on an archetype that Konami says "Here, use these cards with these cards" or have a bad deck that hardly functions. This is largely due to Konami very rarely printing splashable cards (Cards that can be run in any deck).

• Wokaz

Yu-Gi-Oh has always been my personal choice, I found it a lot easier to get into although it has become a lot more complex in the last few years (especially since the introduction of Link Monsters and the new rules that came with them). I like not having to rely on mana like in pretty much every other card game including MTG, and I enjoy how different groups of cards (archtypes) each have their own unique playstyle. I'm also a fan of both the artwork and layout of the cards, as well as the manga and TV series that relate to the game. My main criticism of the game used to be how the wording of card effects could be unclear at times, but they fixed that with all cards printed from 2011 onwards.

I do respect MTG for what it is and have played it a bit as well, but personally couldn't really get into it as much as I know a lot of other people do. The only real way to decipher which is "better" is to play both of them for yourself.

• Fulano

I'm not a fan of either anymore, there are so many better games out there these days, and I hate the 'card collecting' thing where you have to buy packs hoping to get a decent card.

Check out Board Game Geek, it's a great place to find great alternatives to common games.

• Trent3 months agoReport

You could always go online and buy singles to make your own deck it is completely possible to create a deck and play without purchasing packs

Always preferred Yu-Gi-Oh! But I haven't played since like 2004.