Anonymous

I am getting too old and sick to do my job, but have an idea?

Type 1 diabetes has really been kicking my butt the past year or so. I am in my late 50's. I lost my Obamacare due to reversals by Trump in 2018. I used to use the "good" prescription insulin that works well. I lost my health insurance. Now I use the much older, much less effective, nearly obsolete "non prescription" insulin because $25 per bottle every 3 weeks is better than $150 per bottle every three weeks for my thinning wallet.

I used to do pretty much one thing, every night with three helpers for over 15 years. Bonnet clean nasty, greasy restaurant carpet. You do this with a couple buckets and a floor buffer. With all materials, you can get started with one machine for about $1,500-1,800. I own four set ups. One really top of the line machine made in USA, that was about $1,800. The other three with made in China buffers that cost me $1,300 per set up. They work well, just not as well as the made in USA one.

If you extract or steam clean carpet, you will be lucky to get 500 sq ft per hour done. The way I do it, I get more like 1,200 sf per hour. I only extract twice a year. I bonnet clean 10 times per year. The carpets look clean, that's what matters.

When I bonnet clean, I charge 6¢ per sf and make about $70 per hour. This make everyone happy. When I extract, I have to charge more, 9¢ per hour. I make $45 per hour. Nobody is really happy there, but at some point, you need to extract.

I live in a economic area not doing well, Binghamton, NY.

Realistically, I could find three healthy, strong workers nowhere near Binghamton, but still be only 3 or 3.5 hours away from me. Hartford, New Haven, CT. Springfield, MA, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, NY. Even NYC and most of NJ. Philadelphia, Allentown, Scranton, PA. Maybe even Pittsburgh and Erie, PA.

I pay them half the profits and hold them to a very high standard. I bring the extractor and help as needed.

They could be making $20-30 per hour or more. Does this sound good for everyone. Some of those markets may be duds. If you know these areas, what do you think? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Obamacare is a nickname for a law. It is not a type of insurance.

This law governs medicaid, medicare, private insurance and employer based coverage.

The primary item that changed between 2018 and 2019, is that you were are no longer assessed a penalty if you do not have coverage. You are still allowed to purchase it and nothing changed with the subsidies or medicaid. If you chose not to purchase coverage in 2019, please don't say you "lost it" because it was your choice not to continue it.

If you are self employed there has always been a deduction for your insurance premium on your taxes. This has not changed.

But on the flip side, the insulin companies have programs to help with costs. Sanofi, Lilly, Novo Nordisk and others have introduced programs this year to provide a month of insulin for $99. This is not the no name brand that is available at Walmart for $25.

Does this sound good to anyone?

I think you are going to have a lot of trouble finding quality employees who are willing to travel 3+ hours each way for $30 an hour