During ww2 were the british and American fighter pilots strafing civilians?

I heard somewhere that after the bombing of Dresden, Germany The next day as the people were trying to evacuate the city on foot, that the british and american fighter pilots were machine gunning them.

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, Chuck Yeager specifically is on record for saying he and others were ordered to strafe "anything that moved" regardless of whether they were military or civilians.

What you have to understand about WW2 is that no one came out of it with clean hands.

• John P

Apparently true, just as it was true that Germany strafed French civilians. 

In that war, as in moist other wars, many atrocities were committed.

In the early 1990s, in south-east Europe, rape was used as a deliberate weapon of war.

• 1 year ago

Wouldn’t be surprised. War is a breeding ground for psychopathy. I think American helo gunners were mowing down Vietnamese civilians working in the rice paddies from the air as well in that war, if “Full Metal Jacket” was historically accurate in portraying that practice, that is

• 1 year ago

I heard that the same incident occurred in Japan in those days ww2. That is the war. I think the war changes normal people to phycopass.

• 1 year ago

Likely so - war is war - terrible things happen - Allies needed a victory, not a draw.

1 year ago

What would the point. Far more important to knock out military vehicles and trains moving supplies.

• Fred
    1 year ago

I had never heard of that but to my understanding the strafing was mainly aimed at things like trains, trucks, convoys and strategic targets. Some here are saying they have heard of allied pilots strafing innocent civilians to cause panic and clog roads to limit the ability for the Germans to move reinforcements to the battle front but I think many pilots would have preferred to find other military targets such as trains and convoys. Apparently trains were a favourite target as the pilots loved to riddle the boilers with bullet holes then target the freight cars hoping to hit one full of explosives.

• 1 year ago

"You heard somewhere"? Thanks for the unsupported insult.

1 year ago

Very possibly. We certainly know that the Luftwaffe used Junkers Stukas to do the same to civilian targets - the planes were equipped with the so-called Trumpets of Jericho sirens to increase the terrorist effect.

• Not to my knowledge but they sure were bombing the hell out of them

• 1 year ago

Yeah, but it was way worse than that and widespread.