Gifts for Japanese Host Family?

Hello, I'm going to Japan for a semester of study abroad and will be living with an old married couple. They're about 70-80 years old. I'm not sure what to bring for gifts. Any ideas? My area is known for smoked salmon, but has anyone tried bringing that to Japan? Any airport regulations I should be... show more Hello,

I'm going to Japan for a semester of study abroad and will be living with an old married couple. They're about 70-80 years old. I'm not sure what to bring for gifts. Any ideas?

My area is known for smoked salmon, but has anyone tried bringing that to Japan? Any airport regulations I should be concerned about? And do they already have smoked salmon in Japan?

I've looked at some decade-old online answers and some suggest bringing nuts, b/c those are expensive in Japan, but I don't know if that's true anymore. Plus, I don't know about them but my grandparents' teeth are no longer good enough for nuts so I don't want to get them anything they cannot eat.