Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 5 months ago

Got a USA citizenship. But your USA passport is not ready. Can i enter back to usa with my another passport and citizenship certificate?

Favorite Answer

US requires all citizens enter & exit ONLY on their US passport. Penalties apply for failure to do so. You don't even think about traveling until you get your US passport. There's expedited service at an extra charge.

Also, if you have to have to travel suddenly, make an appointment at your state's Passport Agency (every state has at least one). You must make an appointment, bring all your completed passport application, supporting documentation, passport photos, etc. If you get a morning appointment, your passport should be ready later that afternoon; otherwise, it will be ready for pick-up the next day.

• RICK

Not normally but I have known people who were let back in with their naturalization certificate and they cleared it before departure

• Foofa

Unless this trip is an absolute emergency I'd just wait until you get your US passport.

Exiting the US is easy enough, I never show my US passport on exit.

Returning is an issue because you need a visa or visa waiver and you presumably have neither in your other passport. Moreover, you probably handed in your greencard when you naturalised. The airline will not let you onto the plane without a visa/greencard/US passport. Now you know why people go directly from the citizenship ceremony to the nearest passport office to get that first US passport.

It is possible that the embassy or consulate of your country will issue you an emergency travel document. My daughter got one when she lost her US passport in the UK. But they are unlikely to be sympathetic as you got yourself into this mess. They will probably tell you to apply locally in the normal way and wait overseas for it to be issued. You do not need to be in the US to get a first US passport.

Far easier though is to just get an expedited passport and delay your travel plans till you have that in hand.

• Lili

The last time I renewed my passport, it took just 2 days to get it to me. It can be done even faster if you're willing to pay extra.

• Stoo

Ask ICE. Normally I'd say this isn't a problem, but you received citizenship in Trump's America, so it's good to question this. There are actual American citizens by birth who are having trouble getting passports because they sound suspiciously brown-ish. It's probably best you don't leave the country without your American passport if you want to return without issue. You had to be in country to get the citizenship. You can expedite the processing of passports with money. Pay the money and save yourself a hassle.