Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 10 months ago

Updated question: will $200 be enough for 1 week in New York City?

I had previously asked if $1200 would be enough for days, but it seems it isn’t enough. So I decided to try to make this possible New York trip to a week. 2 days dedicated to flying there and back home (flying from Chicago). I have seen some great bundle deals (flight+hotel) on Expedia and orbitz such as $500-$700 and some of these hotels have great reviews. I mostly wanna see the main attractions on this possible trip to New York such as the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. I don’t really like to eat in fancy restaurants but I wouldn’t mind 1 or 2 that can be expensive and good. I’m just wondering if $2000 would cover all of that? 1 week (really 5 days because 2 days are flying).

Its $2000! not $200. its a typo

First off, everything you will want to see is in Manhattan. Ideally you want your hotel to be in Manhattan, else you will spend a sizeable chunk of your time commuting to/from Manhattan. NYC includes other Boroughs, which don't offer much for tourists.

Two "reasonable" hotels that I've stayed at in Manhattan, The New Yorker and Hotel Pennsylvania. Neither is fancy, both are old, my experience is the rooms are tiny. Look them up to see what a room goes for. The hotel will be your biggest single expense. I'd be surprised if you could stay at either of those for less than $175/night. 5 x $200 (guessing at a room rate) = $1000.

Once you're in Manhattan the subway is a perfectly safe and effective way to get around. I haven't been to Manhattan in about 2 years, but I think a subway ride cost $2.60 maybe $2.75. Subway can take you from one end of Manhattan to the other for under $3.

Generally speaking Manhattan is a walking city. Point being transportation cost once you are there will be minimal.

If you fly in and take a cab from the airport you will need to pay the tolls on top of the fare, just so you are prepared for that. I'd have an extra $20 to pay the tolls with. There are no tolls leaving Manhattan, only going in.

As for food. EVERYTHING in NYC costs more than anywhere else. If a bottle of water costs $3 where you live now, than it will cost $7-$10 in NYC. You can eat on the cheap by getting slices of pizza, food carts (which are everywhere - recommend at least one meal from the Halal Guys), but plan on any table service restaurant costs twice what you expect it should.

Here's one tidbit, parking your car in a garage costs $50/day minimum. If you drove to NYC it would cost you $250 just to park your car for five days.

Costs $20 to ride the elevator to the observation deck at the Empire State Building

$12 to ride the ferry out the Statue of Liberty, also stops at Ellis Island. No cost for the statue itself.

911 Museum cost - https://www.911memorial.org/visit-museum-1 that would be the best thing to see in the city.

If you want to see a play, box office prices usually run north of $200/seat. There is a discount ticket booth in Times Square where you can get a same day ticket for less. You may not have a good selection of shows to pick from. There are always scalpers hanging around the discount ticket booth, I've personally had good luck with them, but that is no guarantee you will.

I've personally never had good luck with package deals, I got burned by Travelocity about 10ish years ago. Since then I've made all my arrangements myself. I have had good luck getting cheap hotel rooms (<$100/night for a weekend) in NYC through Priceline, however I was doing the bidding at 5PM on the day that I wanted the room for. Suggest you don't try that if you're prone to anxiety problems. Generally speaking rooms are cheaper on the weekend than during the week because most people staying in hotels are there for business, hence not there on the weekend.

Also be aware of when the General Assembly starts at the UN. Learned that lesson the hard way, it's impossible to get a "cheap" room in Manhattan then. UNGA is Sept 17-24th this year, avoid Manhattan during that week.

If it was me, I'd be challenged to go through a weekend on $200 in Manhattan. Not counting the hotel and flights, I'd plan on $100/day/person to have a reasonable experience. Although one meal for two with drinks in a fancyish restaurant will set you back $500.

• Luis10 months agoReport

So far the cheaper but still good hotels I’ve been finding are in Queens. I wouldn’t mind taking the subway to get to Manhattan.

You need to break this down. Figure out your flight cost. Figure out your hotel cost. Both of those things you can do with pretty good certainty. That's your base.

THEN you're left with day to day expenses while in the City. Food will be your big expense there. If you're not using public transit, or plan on going places not accessible easily by public transit, then uber/taxi will be a big expense as well. Decide what you type of things you want to do. Look up the costs, if any, to do those things. That's the only way you can figure out how much you think you'll need. Everyone's trips and everyone's likes and desires are different.

• MS

Again, maybe. Definitely more doable than $1200. I'd still be skeptical of a hotel/flight bundle for $500-700 - I'd be skeptical of just a hotel for a week for that price. If you're determined to go, then book these deals you see and do your best to stretch your money. Keep in mind that you'll need money for ground transportation, meals, and most of the sites/attractions (some of which cost more than you think).

Its possible with $1200. With $2000, even more so

• Murzy

You can't even eat in McDs for $200 a week.

• Luis10 months agoReport

Did you see not see that I made a typo?! I meant $2000 not $200.

You'll need $2000 not including your flight or hotel.

Bring a credit card of two. With math skills like yours, you cannot afford to just bring a certain amount of cash.

It’s $2000 not $200! Typo