kandyland asked in SportsMartial Arts · 3 months ago

Is this a fair or strict punishment in dojo?

I had to stand against a wall for a 10 minute timeout. Then the master told me to do 300 palm pushups. I said i cant do it and master said i can handle this and screamed at me to keep going to 300 and if i get off my palms or toes i have to start all over again. After that master made me stand on one foot and count to 500.

I was so tired after this. I had to do this before i can go back to the class lectures with everyone. Is this fair or too strict? I am 25 years old.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Actually is really normal... what is not normal is being insulted.

• 2 months ago

Sounds excessive and a lot of time and energy wasted to me and that your instructor is trying to get you to quit. Afterall he still has your money and some instructors are abusive in various ways with new students just for that reason or just because they are jerks and don't really know how to teach or coach someone. I would look for and find a new place to train and study if that is how this person is. Training under them almost never works out nor do you learn as much because the training and instruction is subpar.

• 3 months ago

Very likely, no one could do 300 push-ups. In addition to the obvious physical and emotional conditioning...you were supposed to learn (1) how to do something monumental without complaining, and (2) that you can do more than you think you can. Good instructor.

• 3 months ago

You didn't tell us what the infraction you committed was. What were you getting punished for.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

what Ryu? School? what did you do to get punishment, up against the wall? 300 pushups on palms? I did pushups on knuckles T'ang Fist grip just as a start of class. Strict punishment is fair in many traditional dojos, especially when training involves potentially lethal techniques that sometimes get used by sloppy students- did you strike at throat or eyes? Not wear fighting cup? That can be a self punishing failure to prepare - young'un didn't think old phart was going to be a problem in pre- tournament sparring sessions, was a good object lesson in why Sensei asked older student to push newer students in what they could expect under 'open' tournament rules instead of amateur Tae Kwon Do rules. Chinese -Okinawan fighting allows for blind techniques, extra spins and back fists and especially no warning lift back kicks to groin- got him twice. That sloppy student did 100 pushups after a minutes rest, groaning on floor. Strict punishment is fair when when the result of not getting lesson learned may be a 'fatal accident'.

• Steel
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

How could any of us determine whether or not it was fair if we don't know the nature of your infraction?

• 3 months ago

What did you do? I'm guessing this is America, because in most other dojo's they just beat the cr*p out of you in a 'spar'

• 3 months ago

It is fair because he could have force you to clean the toilets instead

• 3 months ago

I'd NEVER PUT UP WITH BULL S... LIKE this, myself. I NEVER did, either. I've studied marital arts for years, and have never had an insane, abusive instructor, (I NEVER CALLED THEM MASTER, EITHER). They knew I'd studied before, and knew lots of different styles, and these were meant to cripple or kill. so they were very polite to this HILLBILLY.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.