Is it possible to see a very very low-lying satellite and mistake it for an airplane?

I tonight heard a very loud airplane and I looked around for it and I saw something that was a little strange I thought this was the airplane I was hearing but then I saw where the airplane was and realized this one was not the airplane. It took about 10 seconds to make it all the way across my complex from left to right I would say that's probably 100 feet from where I was standing it took about 10 seconds to make it that far in the sky going left to right and it flashed once every one second because I counted and it did not appear like an airplane it was just one single light and the one single light was just flashing every one second evenly . I assumed that that was a very low lying satellite but people don't usually see satellites that low in the sky so can anybody tell me if it is possible to see a satellite that low or am I seeing something else and can anybody give me a guess of what.

• Joe
    Best Answer

Satellites won't show navigation lights, no matter how low they are.

You *can* see satellites, if you know when and where to look. The Space Station too: that's fairly easy. You'll see them as a point of moving light, moving too fast to be a star or planet, visible by reflected light, just after dark or just before dawn.

A high-altitude airplane will look the same.

• Joe

Regular flashing would be an airplane strobe light, and not particularly high.

Satellites, and airplanes at high-enough altitudes, are still in sunlight just after dusk or just before dawn on the Earth's surface. You'll see them be reflected sunlight.

Satellites don't make any noise as they orbit around the earth. If they were low enough to make a noise, it would be because they were burning up in the atmosphere.

That would be a helicopter. If It has nav lights and you can hear it, it is not a satellite. They travel above the air, so don't make any sound, and don't have nav lights.

• Then you have many options to choose from, drone, missile, anything that flys with a nav light. Satellites are not one of these.

Actually they say we can see the ISS when it catches the Sun light as it passes overhead. I've never actually seen it, but that's what they say...whoever "they" is.

• daniel g

Guess that makes me a 'they is', as you can surely spot it on anything of a clear night, even in big cities with light pollution. If you can see airplanes at altitude, ISS is no different.
      Check out n2yo.com