Chris asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 months ago

If vegans hate meat so much then why do they try to make their vegetables and soy stuff look and taste like meat?

Favorite Answer

They don't hate the taste, they view it as unethical. Veganism is more ethical. In The Garden of Eden, nothing ate meat. We need meat because of sin. The wages of sin is death. We can't be healthy without the proper fuel. Vegans may be just as "healthy" as fat people who scarf down big macs, but I prefer a more balanced diet that doesn't make me feel ill. I'm a hargainer, so veganism would probably kill me. I kill a lot of the animals I eat. I respect them, but they're also delicious. However, I try to harvest ones that are abundant. I don't eat Alaskan cod, I eat mahi mahi. I eat carp and brook trout to thin out their populations, so that their populations' growth doesn't get stunted. I have ethics to my diet too, and vegans don't understand that. The only reason livestock exists is because we eat them. They should be treated right for the entirety of their lives, sometimes they're not, and that's where I agree with vegans most. It is ethically superior to be vegan, but it's not expedient.

• Jim2

Because soy and vegetables are much better for you than eating too much red meat. Most of us do eat too much red meat.

But meat tastes good, so that's why vegans try to make their vegetables taste more like it.

My link is not some kind of sissy liberal diet. It's what's good for you. Even in the Bible, Daniel 'refused the rich food of the king' and asked for vegetables. He ended up looking better than other young guys his age. Limit red meat. A little is fine, but cut down on it. Limit sugar. Eat fruits and vegetables. That should actually be half your plate! You'll live longer.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healt...

A lot of vegans don't - for the reason you describe.

For those that do, there are a couple reasons:

1 - It's what they grew up with, and are used to. Choosing something "familiar" is only human.

2 - Because there aren't really any alternatives. Seriously.

Who said they hate meat? You clearly don't know what a Vegan is.

• skeptik

A vegan who is one for philosophical or moral reasons will frequently fit that description.
      They "hate" the use of animals for food (meat, butter, eggs, honey) or for other consumer products like shoe leather.