My grandma passed away last month after being married with my grandpa for 54 years and I'm worried about him. Advice?

So my grandma passed away of leukemia last month after being married with granpa for 54 years. They met when they were 16. He fought in vietnam,then he went into hardware and had a hardware store. He says he's fine but I'm not so sure about it. He's a Marine, he's tough,he's silver star recipient. I never saw him cry,but I know he misses her. He never talks about her. He hasn't even mentioned her yet since her funeral. He seems happy on the outside and frequently smiles but sometimes on the other hand he just has this empty look,the light he had in his eyes when gradnma was around is gone. He smiles,laughs sometimes,but other times he's just...it's hard to describe it...he seems lonely. I'm worried about him. How shall I help him?

Favorite Answer

Be caring and supportive, be available to spend time with him. Keep including him in family events. Its normal to grieve after losing a spouse, especially a lifelong one. Check on whether he has activities that get him out in the world and socializing with others, e.g., clubs, lunch bunch, church, sport, etc. If needed, encourage him to continue going to these activities. If needed, you can also find a grief support group and encourage him to try attending. Good wishes,

• I would check up on him often. Call him, go out to eat with him, or stop by to say hi if possible. This happened to my great uncle and I was always very worried about him. He actually found another woman he loves and will be marrying her, in his 70s! But this doesn’t happen always so I was calling a lot before he met his new fiancé at the hospital he volunteers at. He appreciated the love and thoughts.

maybe you can get him a puppy as a gift to keep him company

Find time to phone him as often as possible. Just to have him hear from family will cheer him up.

I'm a widow. He will grieve in his own time frame. The ONLY thing you can do is be there for him. He wants to talk? Then talk. He doesn't? Then don't.

I'm sorry for your loss.

The only way you can help him is just to be there for him. It's just really hard to lose someone you've loved for decades. There's nothing that can be done about it, you just have to take the time to get over it. You can help just by being good company, being available to talk to, helping him see that Grandma wasn't his WHOLE world.