Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 3 months ago

Embarrassed to go swimming?

I can swim and I love being in the water as my body feels so much lighter. I am around 320 pounds and my legs are also swollen and I need to wear compression stockings all the time. My legs are disgusting and I want to go swimming so bad but scared of people staring.

Have you seen some of the people you get In swimming suits? Yeah you do get some but let's be in honest most people don't look good in the all together. I'm doing a diving course and the amount of people I've seen the last few days that I wonder what possesses them to wear swimsuits is unbelievable. I wouldn't worry.

Most people look around to be aware of their surroundings no matter where they are at the time. However, the reality is most people at the pool are going to be focused on their fun and/or workouts since they worked around their schedule to use that specific time at the pool. They’re not going to care about stopping and wasting their own time to stare at you.

I’m certainly not the slimmest nor am I the most muscular guy, but I shared your anxiety of people staring at me when I walked out on the deck in my swim brief for the first time almost a year ago in order to enjoy my lap swim sessions with less drag. Turns out that insecurity was all in my head. We’re all in the pool for similar purposes, which is to have fun and better ourselves. Enjoy your swim sessions!

The blunt truth is that people are going to notice your body whether you're in the water or on land. So do what you'd like ...and work on losing weight if you're self conscious about your weight.

• A.J.

We are who we are and other people being judges are who are wrong. It would certainly help your health and well-being to lose weight, but it is up to you to choose about that. Swimming can be helpful and is the best exercise for you and woe to those who cannot accept someone trying to be happy and better themselves.

Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Although this quote does not always apply, it is right on the mark on this one.

If people stare, stare back at their rude and obnoxious behavior.

I wouldn't worry about people staring, I would just focus on enjoying the swimming but with that being said, they do make swim suits that are tank tops and shorts and they are less revealing.

My mother is self conscious about her thighs and butt so she's always worn swimming shorts over her swimsuit. Maybe you can try that, or buy a swimsuit with shorts attached.