As an ENGLISH MAJOR, what SKILLS do you get with an Associate's degree that average non-English-major college-educated person does NOT have?

Also, what SKILLS do you add with a Bachelor's in English that an Associate's in English does NOT have?

Furthermore, what SKILLS do you add with a Master's in English that a Bachelor's in English does NOT have?

Lastly, what SKILLS do you add with a PhD in English that a Master's in English does NOT have?

(((I wanted to ask the question fully, and as clearly as possible. My apologies for making it that long.)))

Favorite Answer

That's a lot of questions! I don't know what you would take for an associate's in English beyond freshman comp and a literature survey course. I also don't know what that would qualify you for. A bachelor's degree in English can come with a number of specializations- you can take literature courses, or creative writing. or professional/technical writing, or applied linguistics/teaching English as a second language. The best one for getting a job is professional/technical writing. That's a growth industry, and the pay is pretty good. An English major is also a good basis for applying to law school- many law schools have realized that they can teach the law to people with good writing skills, but they can't teach good writing skills to people who don't already have them. A B.A. degree with licensure leads to a teaching position in k-12 schools. A master's degree qualifies you to teach at community colleges. A Ph.D. qualifies you to teach at universities, but Ph.D.s in literature are a dime a dozen. That's a very competitive field. It's easier to get a job with a Ph.D. in rhetoric/composition, professional writing, or applied linguistics.