Was it necessary for me to be attacked twice in this situation?

There was this one incident where a kid had kicked sand at me because I unintentionally kicked sand at him but I don't think he knew this was unintentional and he probably assumed that I did it on purpose. So for those of you who don't know the way this happened well I got upset because my friends hurt my... show more There was this one incident where a kid had kicked sand at me because I unintentionally kicked sand at him but I don't think he knew this was unintentional and he probably assumed that I did it on purpose. So for those of you who don't know the way this happened well I got upset because my friends hurt my feelings while we were at the park and I went to another section of the park and kicked sand but I didn't know that there were other kids in that area because I was looking at the ground when I kicked the sand and the kid that kicked sand at me was out of sight ( I didn't know how to properly express anger back then). However about an hour later he attacked me again by trying to kick me when I wasn't doing anything to him instead of telling our daycare teachers what happened. I can understand why he attacked me the first time because he was just defending himself then but the second time didn't make any sense. Yes I know that I was out of line and I really regretted what I did but if someone attacks you and you defend yourself is it really necessary to attack them again an hour later? Also I'm asking for educational reasons, I'm not dwelling on the past or anything.