Lv 4
asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 months ago

Why and how did the Iranian Revolution occur? (is Islam really that popular in Iran?)?

I have spoken to several people who lived in Iran and they told me that many or even most people are not very religious and are not really even "Muslims" . but you would think that Islam had to have a very stronghold in the 1979 for the Iranian revolution to occur? or how , why has it changed? and is Iran really that strict today?

Update:

the Khomeni guy was like 80 years old back in 1979? how much longer did he live? and what the guy that replaced him was like?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Davros
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That tallies with what I've heard from Iranians as well. I'm trying to piece together a situation I don't have much grasp on so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

From what I can tell, there is a feeling among quite a few in Iranian society that they are ruled by a foreign Arab elite. Persian culture is seen to be suppressed by the theocracy. Now... in terms of them not being all that religious, it's kind of relative. They're likely more religious than we are (as in the western democracies), but most of your everyday Iranian is a lot less hardheaded about it than their theocratic rulers. I guess prayers feel rather less heartfelt when your government holds a gun to your head to ensure you say them.

Of course you have to remember that the 1979 revolution followed nearly 3 decades of dictatorship, nakedly propped up by greedy foreign powers (the US and UK specifically who were carting away the nation's oil wealth and giving nothing in return). The Shah's regime was pretty crappy all round and I doubt many thought the revolution would put an even more unpalatable government in its place. But it did, and here we are.

Persians were always an open, cosmopolitan and mercantile culture. The revolution has resulted in them becoming an isolationist, disciplinarian state and for many in the nation it is a miserable and unnatural situation.

Of course like all matters of ideology, no doubt there is also a faction of the population who buy into the regime 100%, but it does seem that most Iranians just barely tolerate it rather than support it.

Hassan Rouhani is the first leader they've had with an eye on modernisation and reform. Things were slowly getting better, especially for women who have had a miserable life in the regime lately.

Unfortunately for everyone, he also just happened to be the one Trump decided to pick an idiotic fight with. This has sent the message to the rest of the Iranian government that moderates can't deal with the west and only the hardcore can resist western aggression. That means reforms there are likely to stop dead in the water.

• ...Show all comments
    • exactduke
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

The hardliners are terrified they might lose a little control. And that Iranians might actually live a better life.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

The People of Iran get rid of a US Pupped Show

• 5 months ago

They hated the Sha, and wanted to be rid of him. Unfortunately, the theocracy that replaced it was worse. Apparently it never occurred to them that this might be the case?? The average joe & jane six-pack dislike (if not hate) their government. They just don't know how to get rid of it.

• Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

the Khomeni guy was like 80 years old back in 1979? how much longer did he live? and what the guy that replaced him was like?

• 5 months ago

Iran practices shia Muslim, while most of the others practice sunni Muslim.

• Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

you meant "Shiite" muslims?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

The Iranian Revolution occurred as a reaction against Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi's authoritarian rule and forcing modernization on a people who did not want it. The Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini was the one enemy the Shah had not eliminated.

• Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

why could he not just find him and have him arrested?

• Jake
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

A person can battle the false teachings of Islam using the rosary and fasting.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

The Islamic world has been going under massive -Ultra-Islamization in the 70s. Life was better and much more secular before.

• Iran is about to enter another cultural revolution. Most Iranians I speak with hate Islam and can't wait to throw it off.

• Buddy
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

It was in response to the despot installed during a coup orchestrated by the US and UK in 1953 to overthrow Iran's first democracy in order to protect oil interests.

Islam at the time of the 1979 overthrow was the predominant religion and provided governmental authority in the resulting vacuum.

• ...Show all comments
    • Buddy
      Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

However it's worthy of note that Saddam Hussein was the US proxy in the Iran/Iraq war and when he gave up he lost favor with the US government with results we're all familiar with.

• They would never say 'not really even Muslims" --- if others see you as Muslim then deserting 'your faith' will be your death

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.