Homie asked in TravelMexicoOther - Mexico · 3 months ago

Why are houses, streets and buildings so much nicer on the U.S side of the border with Mexico?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Best Answer

There are generally better rules and regulations here in the US compared to Mexico when it comes to buildings and houses.

I was in Mexico last month and I'd say the biggest issue for road repairs and maintenance is a "lack" of money. There is money, but it often goes to the wrong people/places.

Semi trucks are overloaded way beyond what they're meant to support which adds extra wear and tear to the already bad roads. Some roads are cheaply repaired and start falling apart soon after they're "repaired".

My uncles from my dad's side of the family are truckers and they all pretty much say that they regularly drive with overloaded trucks.

My grandfather mostly built the house that my mom, aunts, and uncles grew up in some 40+ years ago. However, he really didn't have any regard for design. The house is large and roomy inside, but not particularly well built. There are uneven parts on the floor, poor paint job, etc. I'm pretty sure that they have building codes and requirements for home construction, but I don't think they're very well enforced.

There's a lot of corruption in Mexico. The Federal Police (Policia Federal or Federales), are notorious being easy to bribe. It isn't uncommon for one of them to stop you for no reason and give you some BS explanation. He is expecting a mordida (bribe) to let you go. Sometimes, they do have a legitimate reason for pulling you over, but again, a bribe can usually set you free.

With all that being said, Mexico has a lot of really beautiful and interesting places. It has a lot of rich and fascinating culture, history, traditions, towns, cities, villages, landscapes, etc. I went to San Miguel de Allende almost a month ago and it was really cool. I also very much enjoy the food there, specifically the street food. Some of the best food I've ever had was from a small and humble shack on the side of a road. I have a cousin who sells dinner outside of his house. Him and his wife make very good tacos, enchiladas, etc.

• 2 months ago

nice!architects build there nicely.

• 3 months ago

I had the opposite impression when I crossed the border at Nogales. On the US sides it was the usual mess of fast food and a big Walmart. On the Mexican side was a charming town with a central plaza, trees, attractive shops. Certainly the only areas in Mexico that I've been in have, in many cases, beautiful Spanish architecture and well-kept plazas. But there are areas around each town where poor people live- just as is the case in the US. There are streets in my city, that if you just looked at photos of them, you'd swear they were from a 3rd world country.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Higher per capita domestic product.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.