Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 5 months ago

What religion are the Scottish people as a majority ?

Update:

Catholic or Presbyterian

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Christianity is the largest religion in Scotland. In the 2011 census, 53.8% of the Scottish population identified as Christian (declining from 65.1% in 2001) when asked: "What religion, religious denomination or body do you belong to?".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Scotland

From the fifth century, Scotland was a Roman Catholic country; however, after the Protestant and Scottish Reformations, Scotland adopted Presbyterianism (the Church of Scotland) as its state religion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectarianism_in_Gl...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

porrage wogs............

• 5 months ago

In 2011 census at least 36.7% were of no religion at all.

• 5 months ago

Presbyterianism.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jake
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Catholicism is the One True Faith and a person can know this with certainty by reciting the rosary each day with care.

• Roger
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They're Protestants—Presbyterians. Catholicism never took hold in Scotland. During the reign of James I, the Scottish monarch who sat on the British throne after Queen Elizabeth I, the King James Bible was published. That is a distinctly Protestant act. Catholics don't read the Bible directly; they have it interpreted for them by priests.

I suspect that today there are fewer and fewer fervent believers of any faith, so even though Protestantism has dominated Scotland since the 1600's, many Scots today pay only lip service to religion.

• ...Show all comments
    • Candela
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

The large Campbell clan remain Catholic while most of the Scots converted to Presbyterianism.

• Davros
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The number changes depending on what surveys you look at. From what I'm seeing atheist/agnostic is the dominant belief position in Scotland. (Around 37% of the population)

This is followed by Church of Scotland (Presbyterianism) at about 32%. Catholicism is about 15%

However the number of Scots who go to church services at least once a year average just over the usual UK figure at about 10%. This means many of those claiming membership never actually worship.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.