Future
Lv 7
Future asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 months ago

Why on earth do we have non-citizens in the military? Should service mean automatic citizenship? That's who's being targeted in these laws?

...against their children becoming citizens apparently.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Ted K
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
    Best Answer

We have a long history of sending non-citizens to die in our wars. For example, Irish immigrants fresh off the boat were given muskets and uniforms and sent to slaughter in the Civil war.

• Because that means fewer rich kids have to serve.

• 3 months ago

I've known some Mexicans who joined in order to get citizenship faster.

'

(as well as military benefits)

As far as your question, I think a foreign soldier who has been honorably discharged from the US military should automatically get citizenship after a screening process.

No jihad Johnnies or Janes allowed, lol.

This is especially true if they saw combat. (by that I mean participating in, not looking at)

I think this should also extend to children and spouses.

• Desolate
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

I agree. The Klan is categorized as a terrorist organization, anyway. There are a few Nazi loons around, but I've never seen any outside of documentaries about them.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

To serve in the US Military does not require you to have US Citizenship, there are many individuals from various countries who have served with distinction in the US Military over the years. Some apply for and gain US Citizenship while in the Military, others do not.

However this regulation change affects the children of US Citizens who are serving in the military on a base in a foreign country. Traditionally, US Military bases were considered to be US soil and, as such, children born to US Citizens serving on these bases were automatically granted citizenship as not only was their father a US Citizen, but they were born on "US soil". Under the new regulations, a spouse of the US serviceman must fly to the US before their 36th week or pregnancy and stay there to have the child and insure that citizenship is granted before returning to their husband.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

I believe serving helps them get their citizenship faster. But no, getting through boot camp shouldn't automatically grant their foreign born children citizenship.

• 3 months ago

Its the children with ONE non citizen parent who are being targeted. Military bases have noncitizen support personnel. Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, medical technicians. The Military has become highly mercerized and is unable to support itself like it did during WW2, Korean War and Vietnam. The draft lottery did not start until 1967 , then the draft ended in 1973. The Vietnam vets are retiring or dying. They are MY age.

• 3 months ago

Armies have been employing foriegners to fight in their wars for thousands of years. Ever hear of the French Foreign Legion? The Hessians? Soldier of Fortune? etc.

• Desolate
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

The term is "mercenary." It's supposed to be illegal in the US...then along came Blackwater...

• 3 months ago

It never has but it does make it easier.

The second part I don't know what you are even on about. The push that it isn't automatic would only apply to children of people who are here illegally and if you are in the service you aren't.

• 3 months ago

Trump has been attacking our military since the campaign trail. First it was the gold star family, then Sen. McCain, our Generals, and now soldiers that have kids overseas. He hates our military!

• 3 months ago

They want illegal aliens to abuse and take advantage of them. They're not going to actually kick them out lol, their purpose is to make rich guys rich like all GOP policy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.