Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 3 months ago

Why do I have no friends?

I just started my Freshman year in college and I have been a loner for as long as I can remember. I can remember sitting along the fence in elementary school so other kids wouldn’t bully me. In middle school I would sit in the office at lunch time because I had no friends to talk to. In high school I would just walk the halls when it was lunch time or an assembly was happening. Now that I’m in college, I’m dealing with the same situation.

I would understand if I made no attempt at all to make friends, but I honestly do try. I try talking to people, texting them, or inviting them out, but no one ever wants to talk to me. So then I started thinking it was personality and that I was just not a likable person. It’s true that I’m a downer most of the time but that’s because I have no one who cares about me. Or could it be my looks? Am I so ugly that no one wants to be my friend?

I could be in any group or situation with other people, and I would be the last one picked or just completely abandoned. For example, my college roommates always go out at night and invite each other, but never ask me. In high school, other kids from clubs I was in would all carpool and ask me to find another way there. Am I missing something? Why does no one want to be my friend?

Best Answer

You just need to look in the right places and take more initiative. Find clubs that you're interested in, attend college events, volunteer, talk to someone new in your class or just even a hello in passing by someone in the campus, talk to someone next to you in class about school and then personal topics (like hobbies, or what they like), you could even go out of your way to talk to someone who's in the same boat as you. You're not the only one around here.

You just have to keep going out of your comfort zone and eventually you will find people who will become friends with you. There's no drama in college--most likely everyone is focused on passing college and a lot of college students won't care about what you look like. Personality does matter but it's not the problem here. Just keep trying! Don't give up!

Truthfully you sound boring. Find some hobbies & work on your confidence. Look approachable , fun and happy . I used to be like this until i started to realize that i had no personality . I was boring , plain & simple . Do things that take you out your comfort zone. Say the first thing that comes to mind all the time. Change it up , spice up your life you only get one .

• Rick B

Then make friends. Walk up to someone sitting at the cafeteria and say, "Can I join you?" Or form a study group. Join some school clubs. Go to the activities that are common like movie nights. Talk to the people sitting next to you in class. Make it a point to start a conversation with at least one new person every day. Talk about the class material and then move into more personal topics. Start attending church at a nearby church and join the college age group.

What's your zodiac sign?