Is it okay to use home heating oil for fuel in my Volkswagen that has a diesel engine??

Update:

Home heating oil does not have the sulphur removed

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

yes it is. It is better for the environment to use Home heating than the green over-the-road sulfer free diesel fuel. The sulfur is responsible for lubricating the injection pump.

• Login to reply the answers
  • In
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You can get busted for tax evasion.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It will work, though it is NOT OK. The fuel taxes is what pays for road repairs everywhere. And other stuff. The odor can be detected as being NOT diesel. So you are forked. Big government fine."& prison" because you are stealing from the GOVERNMENT.

You could also use DEEP FRYER OIL used to make french fries once you filter the water and food particles out. That also works as that oil cannot be continuously used for cooking. So they chuck it. Check out MickeyD's or a smaller restaurant. Then check out YOU Tube. It too does not have road tax on it...meaning you should not be driving on the roads.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No grade 1 diesel fuel is much cleaner than heating oil, if you can not get to a fuel station use just enough to get you there then fill the tank with A1 diesel fuel. and hope the filter does no glogge on you! They are simpler but fuel oil is not as clean and could cause a filter problem!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Home heating oil WILL work in your car, but it's ILLEGAL to use it for that purpose. Expect to pay HUGE fines if you get caught.

• ...Show all comments
    • F
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

A company near me got fined £100k for using red diesel ( for agricultural use in uk, little or no duty on it). However, it was estimated they had saved £250k, so were laughing all the way to the bank.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Home heating oil, also known as stove oil, will burn fine in a diesel engine. But it is not taxed for use on the road and carries a large fine if caught.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i would ask a mechanic about it

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

In a pinch, yes. I don't know if I would do it long term. While home heating oil and diesel are from the same fraction of crude oil, there may be differences in lubricity that is important for vehicles but not heating oil. As the cartalk blog points out, you are avoiding road tax if you use home heating oil in your vehicle.

https://sciencing.com/about-6726131-diesel-vs--hom...

https://www.concordmonitor.com/oil-diesel-heating-...

< home heating oil is not a good replacement for diesel in vehicles because it lacks lubrication aspects that are important for engines to operate. >

https://www.cartalk.com/content/my-father-law-keep...

• Rick
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

don't let the cops catch you doing that, VERY illegal ..............................

• Greg
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No it will not work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.