Do you actually read college textbooks?

I'm taking a management class that seems to be directly based on the textbook and I'm having to read it word-for-word, all the way through due to quizzes and exams being based solely on it. There are no lectures, PowerPoints, etc.

My management class textbook has an entire pages dedicated to talking about famous people like Mark Zuckerberg and Bon Jovi. After reading them, I feel like I've learned nothing and it was a wasteful read. It'll literally be a 15 minute read about their life and the last sentence will be: "Because of their ability to manage time and being an influencer to those around them they were able to achieve success." I find that such a waste of time. That last sentence is all I needed to hear from that page.

I prefer lectures because professors generally tell us relevant information and don't crowd the lecture with irrelevant filler. What are your opinions?

Favorite Answer

It's very strange that you don't have any lectures or PowerPoint in that class. What does the teacher do during the class time then?

To answer your question, from my experience the textbook is usually used for reference or additional reading. While some teachers base the quizzes from the textbook and encourage students to read it, it should not be the only way to learn in that class.

Also, management textbooks usually do have case studies and examples given of influential people, so the Mark Zuckerberg example that you mentioned seems normal in this case. They can be interesting to read and useful for learning more about the practical world, but you don't necessarily HAVE to read it.

All in all, I think that it is strange to have an entire class based solely on the textbook. There is no reason to pay for a class if you only read from the textbook anyway. If I were you, I would talk to the professor about introducing different teaching methods to help you learn better.

• Alex10 months agoReport

That makes sense. I should have mentioned, this is an online course.

• John

If I am understanding your story, all you do for this class is read a book and take tests? I have never heard of a class, at least from a real college, structured like that.

• Alex10 months agoReport

Yes. This course is 100% textbook taught. All exams are "custom made" by the professor but they are virtually fill-in-the-blank random sentences from the chapter. It is more memorization and less concept learning.

• Lili

Well, you are supposed to.

I have to say that as an undergraduate and now, as a college professor, I can't recall any textbooks that even mentioned celebrities, and that includes my Economics books. I have reason to know that many business/management classes rely on case studies, so Zuckerberg's founding of Facebook would be a natural for such a class, but Bon Jovi? And a business case study examines and analyzes substantive issues.

What you describe sounds more than ridiculous. Where the hell are you taking this class?

• Alex10 months agoReport

Well, I'll avoid possible defamation lawsuits by not saying where or who, but yes, the examples given in the textbook are ludicrous and near irrelevant. It is just so much filler. I understand how Zuckerberg could fit in the context of the book, but they missed the mark.

no i use biology ones

• Rick

much easier to 'learn' that way ...........................

Source(s): Class of '73.