Should I still learn to drive?

I don't really want to but how else would I be able to get to places alone in a car-dependent area? I was advised not to use Uber/Lyft. Altho my mom kept saying that I did a great job, she yelled/criticized me while I try but I can't understand what I did wrong. And I can't handle the feeling nor get the hang of it. I'm learning to drive in a minivan & I'm finding it ridiculously difficult to maneuver, control, and judge where I am; if I get into a spot perfectly, trust me-it's luck. I'm finding the experience too wonderful to be true and I don't think I can see myself doing this just about everyday. After being taught how to do hand-over-hand by a professional instructor, I still wasn't clear how to do it so she was impressed only like twice when I drove with her for 2 hours, so I looked up a video on youtube on how to do it after the lesson. She even made me let her take the wheel for the rest of the ride. Should I still learn? Again, my mom insists that I did a great job but it's still a game to not crash inside something that's heavy/large with so many controls while being confined in a corner while going at an unknown speed with distractions.

I've been told by others that I need to give up. However, there are people like a decade and a half younger than me who have their driver's license.

Even with Asperger's? Having that can make it even more of a challenge and overwhelming?

I should still learn to drive even if it's extremely difficult and it freaks me out being in the constantly-moving traffic?

Favorite Answer

Minivans and suv's are not good cars to learn on. If you have a job then have your mom help you find a nice used sedan/coupe that you can beat on and learn. Maybe an older honda civic or ford focus.

• Snezzy

I felt much the same when I first rented a 24-foot box truck. I was certain that's I'd make some horrid blunder. But everything went well, in spite of my trepidations. I did not drive under the nine-foot-zero-inches bridge on Memorial Drive near MIT. Nor under this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k319Qfm01A

Youtube thumbnail

Now I drive horse trailers around quite harmlessly. You can, too. First, get a horse. Necessity is the mother of everything.

• Anton

Where in the world are you?

Can you ride a pedal bicycle? If so, a twist-n-go 125cc scooter could be perfect for you.

You do not have to be perfect, or even good. My brother crashes his cars at least yearly.

Grow up. You've got to be ready to support yourself someday!

• Scott

Unless you live in one of the few cities in the US where you can truly survive without driving, you need to learn to drive. It's a very valuable skill to have.

Driving is an important life skill in the USA - and in many places it's a survival skill. Do you want to go through life being self-dependent or dependent on others?

Your mother is trusting you (an inexperienced driver) with her life, her car, and your life. This can be very stressful. Listen to her words she says after the lessons and give her some slack on the comments made while you are driving. If you stay in your lane, stop when you are supposed to, look for traffic before going, you are doing well.

Yes, it's normal to feel a lack of confidence in your ability to control a huge car. I'm glad to hear you had a professional instructor- I don't think family members should try to teach each other how to drive. It's too emotionally fraught. It takes lots of practice to feel more comfortable driving.

keep trying it takes a lot of practice for some