Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 10 months ago

My son is about to reach puberty. As a mom, should I circumcise him now?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It is a pity you didn't give your son the lifelong health and sexual benefits of circumcision when he was an infant. However, it is never to late to get it done.

After infancy, the net best time for a boy to be circumcised is just before (or at the start of) puberty. In practice the best timing here is early in the school holidays between primary and secondary school. Your son is obviously now at that sort of age to be given the gift of circumcision.

You may need to discuss it well with him and ensure that he knows of all the benefits it will give him and about some of the many problems (such as phimosis, paraphimosis and STIs) that can come to a lad with a foreskin.

Technically, as his parent, and since he is very much a minor, you alone have the say over all aspects of his health. However, some doctors may prefer to also have the boy's agreement to being circumcised in addition to your own consent.

There are a number of useful publications, which may help in explaining the benefits to your son at at http://www.circumcisionhelpdesk.org/pubs.php

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If you want to have your son circumcised,  ask a doctor about it, and don't depend on the opinions of a bunch of online strangers, many of whom have an agenda, and probably none of whom have any medical training.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

What do you thing having him circumcised is going to accomplish? He will STILL go through puberty and will have all the same drama and problems that an uncircumcised young boy will have.

• 10 months ago

Yes, take him to one of the many clinics and doctors who offer circumcision on request and do it for boys and men of all ages because it it proven to be in their best interests.

Do, however, discuss it with your son and show him all the benefits it brings and the horrors that can arise from keeping a useless foreskin.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

There is NO doctor or clinic that will circumcise a young boy approaching puberty on the request of the parent. They will NOT circumcise a boy of that age, not unless the boy agrees to the operation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

i thought that you do that when they are babies...i guess at this point is his choice.

• 10 months ago

Um, that train has left the station. It's supposed to be done 8 days after birth.

• ...Show all comments
    • Andi10 months agoReport

Roddy is perfectly correct. I know of several boys who were circumcised before starting secondary school and are very happy to have got rid of their foreskin at last.

• 10 months ago

Why would you wait to do it? Either do it at birth or don't do it at all.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

From where I am, boys are usually circumcised much earlier, like at the latest before fourth grade. It's a social thing, not religious, unlike the Jews.

Now, since your son is a bit much older, and it's obvious this is not also about religion, you may want to ask your son about it first. If he agrees, bring to a doctor for the procedure.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

MOST boys (Jewish or not Jewish) are circumcised in a hospital within hours of their birth. 

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Idiot, please just go away.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

No, don't circumcise. Genital mutilation is morally wrong

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.