Upgrading desktop dell vostro 230 Pentium (R) core E5500.?

I have an old desktop dell vostro 230 , Pentium (R) core E5500 2.80 GHz with 2GB ram installed. 64Bit. I want to upgrade it so I can use Windows 10 smoothly. I'm currently on Win8.1 and it's really bad.

Should I upgrade the RAM? I'm thinking about adding 4-6GB of RAM, is it possible with this CPU? and What are the model of RAM I can use with it?

Or should I change the CPU to i3, i5? Is that possible?

I'm thinking about how much it would cost and wondering if it's worth it or I might as well buy a new one instead.

Favorite Answer

I'm afraid, sir, that your upgrade options are very limited with the Dell Vostro 230.

You can NOT upgrade the CPU to an Intel i3 or i5 as they use a different socket on the motherboard.

The maximum amount of RAM that the motherboard can handle is 4GB of 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM. (Dual Channel means that it works a little faster if you install pairs of RAM modules of the same speed.)

I'm afraid that there are no PCIe (PCI Express) video card slots, which means that you can't fit another video card either.

To be honest with you, if you are able, you should consider getting a newer computer.

The following webpage shows the specifications for both the Dell Vostro 230 Mini Tower and the Slim Tower.

• Pete L

The best upgrade and will make it superfast again, is to drop Windows completely and install MX Linux in it's place.

upgrade it to a core 2 duo e8335

• Pete L

• Lv 7

dude, that is a bad idea. the reason it runs so slow is twofold.

first, the processor is several generations old.

no computer with anything less than a Core i3 should be running Windows 10. that processor came out several years before i3's were made.

secondly, you cannot just install Windows 10 on any computer. you need what's called "drivers" for Windows to know how to use the hardware. the most important of which is the chipset driver, which tells Windows how to transfer data more quickly over the motherboard. without it, nothing you do will make Win10 faster.

that model, i've had a couple, and got rid of them when it wouldn't run Win7 well (it even had drivers for Windows 7). Windows 10 needs a REAL POWERFUL CPU, and preferably an SSD instead of HDD.

I agree with mick, I'm afraid you aren't going to be able to upgrade that machine noticeably, though you might find a couple more GB of ram will make a slight difference. Best look for another more compatible with W10.