How do you calculate the runtime to sanitize a room with an ozone generator?

all guides say run ozone generators for X hours, some 5, 6, 7 or 8, but heres the issue. not all ozone generators are equal. not all rooms are equal, how do i determine the ideal runtime based on the volume of a given room? for instance, obviously if you are running in a wardrobe, the runtime is far less than if you are running the machine in an open floor office.

What is the formula for runtime, where the variables are grams/hour and room size?

Im not sure its simply a matter of achieving a specific concentration, my understanding is that ozone has a short half life that has to be factored in

Update:

sorry, i mean, calculate runtime based on grams per hour generated, room size, and concentration required, thats the other issue, i dont know the profile of required ozone levels.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

The general rule of thumb is that every 1,000 mg of ozone production will treat 1,000 ft3, which is roughly a 10' x 10' room with 10' high ceilings. Of course, the severity of the problem (usually determined by smell for an odor) is a determinant of the ozone output or exposure length required to remediate the area. For instance, a skunk odor requires more treatment than a casual cigarette lit in an otherwise 'clean' room. An additional consideration concerns whether the treatment area is a vacant space with hard surfaces, or a furnished space with porous surfaces (like carpeting, drapes, furniture, etc,). The more porous materials in the treatment area, the more ozone exposure is required to get an effective treatment.

Also remember that once it gets to the recommended dosage, it still needs to sit at that level for a while to actually react with all the little nasties.

• 3 months ago

Also ventilation of the room would be a major factor. If it is heated by a hot air system, for example, the air is changed rapidly and any ozone would be removed. Also, relative humidity plays a major role.

Bottom line, contact the manufacturer of the machine you are using and ask for the numbers. Reference has lots of info, but no definitive numbers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.