Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 months ago

Would you rather wait 2 years for cancer treatment or pay a lot for it?

• jimmy

I live in Canada and have two friends who went through cancer treatment, neither of them waited two years for treatment, and neither of them had a hospital bill to pay.

Wow! My treatment was free and I was in surgery less than 2 weeks after going to my dr and saying "I have this lump ...."

You're trying to suggest that in a taxpayer funded health service, such as UK's NHS, where there are waiting lists, that someone would have to wait two years for lifesaving cancer treatment. That's a lie. If a problem is life-threatening, such as some cancers, treatment is immediate and free at the point of use. You don't have to worry about an insurance company finding a loophole which means you have to sell your house to fund the medical costs.

We do have waiting lists in the NHS, but these are for elective, non-life-threatening procedures like knee replacements.

To the comments below:

Both these children had rare and incurable complaints. Both were very ill children, and had overseas doctors wanting to experiment with unproven treatments. In both cases, these children would have been put through unnecessary long distance journeys, to go through extensive, invasive and painful treatment, with no real hope of effecting even some respite, let alone a cure. And yes, these doctors weren't offering their services for the good of science, they wanted millions for their services. They didn't die "to save a buck", they were dying, and allowed to slip away with some dignity, rather than be painfully experimented on by quacks.

I'm glad your mother has been successfully treated. With a similar prognosis, the NHS would have been similarly swift. I doubt that a couple of days' delay would have made a difference.

• 7 months agoReport

My mom had stage 4 colon cancer. Her prognosis was so bad, they operated on her the next day. If she had to wait any time at all, she probably would have died.

2 years could be the life expectancy.

• Petter

I'd rather pay a lof for it. You could be dead in those two years...