24 living with my grandmother?

Hello. I just turned 24, and just got out of a toxic crazy relationship with a 48 year old. My mental health went downhill since being with him. Anyway, I need a job and don’t know where to start and pretty embarrassed because I haven’t even finished community college yet. I never took it seriously until I turned 20. I then worked a part time job for two/three years taking one or two courses at a time. Well, I’m 24 and still haven’t finished and still haven’t done an internship. Again—- I’m 24. Most people have moved out, gotten a job, have kids. Where I’ve had abortions and awful relationship and can’t even get a decent job. Plus I’m white which makes thing harder because most jobs with miniseries the only ones I qualify you get kind of bullied for being white. I tried to get a job with the Irish because I’m irish American but they just look at you like your crazy cause your not off the boat Irish and my age. I have blonde hair and blue eyes aand need money desperately as I spent all of it this year. I’m living with my grandmother and at 24, it’s just uncomfortable and I feel like a huge burden on her. I can honestly say I’m at an all time low and I don’t even know what jobs to go for — a janitor, a cleaner. It just seems so sad that this is my life when I have a sister and brother who have graduated and are in Fordham university’s great schools and I haven’t even completed community college looking for poor jobs, it’s just heartbreaking and why I left my relationship

Best Answer

"Most people have moved out, gotten a job, have kids."

Where are you getting this?!? If it applies to your sibs, fine, but there's a whole world out there where this isn't true. So the 1st thing is stop comparing yourself w/ others. Yes, you made a stupid decision, but so what? Don't let that define your future.

Get focused. Have you talked to the career counselor at your cc? If not, start there. Some of them even offer free testing. Have you looked into certification courses? Not everyone needs college, and these are becoming more popular. They cover everything from IT to healthcare, they offer career paths, job placement, etc.

The next part of your plan involves getting out from home. Start looking at what it costs to get a room in a group home. These are fun, cheap and easy to get into. Find a fun job, like working in a sports bar or any environment like that. You make good money any time alcohol is served.

Finally, your last sentence is scary. You seem to be saying you left your relationship because you're stalled w/ life? Not because you were with a toxic man old enough to be your father?! Somewhere along the line, you probably need some kind of talk therapy to understand why you'd make a choice like that to begin with.

tl;dr - You have a lot of power here to determine your future . Start using it. And stay away from men for awhile.. You'll lose your focus.

maybe you can create your own job like sell avon or whatever

• ron h

If you don't start doing something, in 2 years, you'll be 26 and you'll still be that same. Parts of this sound like a sad fantasy..

u have a question somewhere out there? and if u re asking why are u thins way - because u re dumb obviously

• audrey

Retail/food service. Not great but a place to start. At least you could help your poor grandmother with bills.

• d j

You need to take charge of your life.

Whatever has past , let go of it.

It's a good thing you released yourself from an abusive relationship. Cutting that cord made you realize all those things that you've missed out. Like education and career etc.

You can make a fresh start. Take hold of any job that you can easily get while looking for a better job.

Years worth of damage can't be undone in a few weeks or months. You will have to be patient about that.

Moreover, you can't figure out your life path by relying on your own judgement alone. You need guidance and motivation of others.

Try to stay close to the people who can guide you better regarding your career. Join a church to fill your mind and heart with positivity. You need company of good people.

You can't afford to stagnate. Start from somewhere. Don't shy away from menial jobs. If you become a janitor, it doesn't mean you'll retire as a janitor. More opportunities will come by gradually.

What a cheap excuse of being bullied because you are white! I’m brown skin Latina and in my experience most of the places I have work at the boss is white, and in some cases a under qualified white dude. Your white butt will open more doors than any other race. My suggestion is to get a restaurant job to learn some people skills and become a strong person, you should try by looking for a hostess position, restaurants prefer having a good looking young white person as a first impression than a foreign looking one, then little by little move to server or bartender (tips are good) and hopefully at the moment you finish college you’ll gain enough strength to start your new career path. You should keep living with your grandma, rent out there can be expensive and not a good idea to be short of money with school. Good luck.

First world problems. Just go take up a trade at your local community college, take any job you can get and work your way up. Majority of 24 year olds don't have a college education. Get out and network, meet new people, decent people, hard working people, successful people. You'll be ok.

I'm 24 too, I use to be worried about the same things you're worrying about but 2 years ago I gave my life to Christ (for real) and I stopped worrying about it. It was a huge wake up call and enlightenment. I realised that all the stuff we stress about is pointless and materialistic. I don't do nothing but pray and read my Bible. I don't work, but yet I have my own place, and I'm clean, clothed, fed, and sheltered all through Christ. Not by my own work but his because I read and understood his word and believed. There's really power in the word of God. Maybe you should try.

My, you are low, aren't you! The only way is up, though, and it would seem that getting yourself a job is your main priority in order to help your finances (hence your living situation) and help with with your self esteem. Ask for advice at your college. Find some sort of voluntary work to do. It will benefit your community (or the wider one), you’ll meet wonderful people and it will help with your sense of your own value. Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8nx8Pt0tI

Youtube thumbnail

. As for people of your age being mothers already one suspects that many of them would rather have waited a little longer. Good Luck! :o)