Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 10 months ago

I have an accents that I cannot get rid of. Can I still be a voice actor?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

It’s not about getting rid of your current accent but learning new and different accents. Vocal lessons and a dialect coach can help you with that.

But of course voice acting is a lot more then just having an interesting voice. It’s about being able to create a character and help listeners experience a story.

So why not give acting a try! It could be fun. Audition for a school play or community theater. Take an acting class or two. See if you enjoy the work of acting and are good at it.

Good luck.

• John P
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

For a start - you have an accent (singular).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pope
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

If you have really clear dialect from a specific area, then it could actually be a really good niche for you. Often in voice work they don't have actors doing accents because they can just get an actor speaking in their natural accent to do it.

I would say don't lose the accent. But try and learn a few others and also take acting training.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Possibly, but remember that a voice actor is just an actor.

Almost all voice actors are also fully trained, very experienced actors who also work on stage, on TV or in movies.

During an actor's training, if it's good training, they learn to speak in many different accents. That's just part of the job. A few actors have managed to have a good career with only their native accent, but that's a rare thing, especially in the UK.

• 10 months ago

Have you worked with a dialect coach? A good one will tailor their method depending on what accent you have.

I worked on a West End show where the cast had to speak with Canadian accents. Some actors were English and some Irish. It was fascinating to listen to the dialect coach work with the way the actors spoke to get the correct accent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

you can be a skunk

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

A type cast one, yes, but anyone can lose any accent. You just have to try.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.