How can people in the west claim globalization has been a good thing when wages have declined or been stagnant for the past 20 or so years?

Best Answer

Because they are con artists, trying to fool us into subsidizing the rest of world at nobody else's cost, but ours.

I asked a Harvard educated professor I once had in class how globalist policies benefit us, as she was talking about the "all boats will rise" theory. I pointed out that it sounded like this theory only benefited everybody else, and harmed us. And she had no response at first. She paused a long time. And she then was trying to explain that there are some things not directly appreciable, and also that it is a slow process. And I am like, well it hasn't been slow for China or Mexico, they have seen immediate gains, and we've seen immediate harms, so what is appreciable to us, that is not direct, that we are supposed to be benefiting from, and she said that it allows countries better at things and can do it for cheaper, so other countries can focus on what they're better at. And gave the example of it being cheaper to manufacture things in other countries, and we're better at financial and other service industry things. I was like, so what about Detroit as an example? How has that benefited us, for Detroit to have lost their entire car manufacturing industry? And how long until they recover since they've never recovered from losing that industry as far as I am aware. And what about people who don't have financial and service industry training? She was again speechless at first and had to pause a long time before responding, and then said that we would need to obviously re-focus on the training of people in our job force, and that over time, people should be trained for our industries that we dominate. And I was like, so in other words, anybody working in the US in the other industries we no longer dominate, such as manufacturing, are harmed, and will take a long time to recover, if they ever do before they die? And this is a good thing? The class, who would usually not have people so engaged or paying attention were suddenly glued to the professor waiting for her explanation, but she just said, there's a lot of factors, and its very complex. I was like, isn't that why we're here in a grad school course, to learn these 'complex' things? I just am trying to figure out why moving manufacturing from Detroit was a good thing, when we all know how bad it is there still and if this is the same application in any other industry, I don't see how this could benefit us. She then had to concede some industries will likely never financially be able to recover, depending on their circumstances, but future generations will benefit in the long run. I was like, so you're saying not all boats will rise. Because some people will definitely be harmed, and those people will see no benefit. And she was like, some may be negatively affected, but in your example, the auto industry actually benefited by being able to lower their production costs. I then asked her, by "auto industry" if she meant the CEO's and corporate share holders. She didn't even respond, and said we needed to move on. The class was all chattering and kind of giggling, because she was known as a being a globalist economic proponent, and the professor looked pissed. I don't think that professor ever called on me again after that. But I had a lot of people after class come tell me that our little back and forth was awesome.

• Hammer3 months agoReport

When America starts closing down all its steel and other heavy manufacturing plants the writing will be on the wall. It will have to totally rely on other nations for material to build its tanks/ships etc. Not a good scenario.

• Zirp

Because THOSE people in the west have wide choice of cheap asian products, and don't care about the "externalities", nor about cultures in the west

The corporations are doing way, way better than the wages.

NOT GOOD OR BAD

(1)

Real Wages have been stagnant for the past 50 years.

Wages actually have increased in America but so has

the cost of goods in tandem so, in effect, ‘real wages’

have remained flat.

(2)

This is partly caused by globalization but it is unavoidable.

The whole world has embraced globalization and if American

companies wish to remain profitable they must offshore jobs.

It sucks but, if they don’t do so their prices for their products

would have to be high and consequently foreigners who export

products to the US would be able to sell more cheaply and to

take away the sales.

(3)

The US govt could try to prohibit imports but if it did so then,

other countries would retaliate by preventing US companies

from exporting to their countries.

So American factories would produce less product due to

reduced exports and this would increase unemployment

in the US.

(4)

Gobalization was unavoidable. It is neither a good thing nor

a bad thing – it is merely an evolution of practice.

Liberals are big supporters of sweatshops. That's why so many of them are constantly in Walmart. What's the point in buying a fedora if it doesn't come with Bangladeshi blood and tears? It's also a way to act as if you're tolerant of other races and keep non-whites in bondage simultaneously.

Globalization and wage stagnation are not connected to each other. That's like blaming drownings on hot sauce.

To understand why that is, I'll have to give you a brief history lesson.

After WW2, every industrialized nation in the world was in ruins, except the USA. Our mainland was untouched by war. We had this massive manufacturing capacity that we could turn into consumer goods and equipment.

And the rest of the world needed stuff to live and to rebuild. The USA got rich selling them the quality mass manufactured goods and equipment. This was a very unique and temporary situation. And it lasted until maybe the mid to late 1970s.

After that, Japan and Europe had rebuilt and were competing with us. Then in the 1990s, China and other Asian countries came on strong.

Today, the world has lots of places it can get quality manufactured goods, not just the USA. That's why our standard of living has gone down somewhat. And this will not change unless maybe you want to stop bombing the crap out of our industrial competitors.

Globalization benefits two kind of people

1) Ultra wealthy billionaires and millionaires by having endless supply fo cheap labor.. That is what this multiculturalism is all about.

2) Leftists and anti-white racists who love to see white people becoming minority in all western nations through mass immigration of non-European people.

Because the standard of living is far better.