Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

What kind of beans are good mixed with rice?

I want to try eating beans and rice as a meal to save money. Recipes appreciated.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I spent two years in Nicaragua (Central America). Beans and rice was called Gallo Pinto (guyo-peento) and was a staple and made of black beans and rice. Usually eaten at breakfast but anytime was OK. It it an "emotional" dish, meaning you put in whatever you feel like at the moment. Adding grilled onions is always good but whatever you feel like or what ever is in your frig is good. Adding some garlic and/or some jalepeños is always good. It is a dish meant for a creative touch, or not!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Any type of bean is a good combo with rice, though combinations of different types is much more interesting: black or navy beans, plain or colored lentils, split peas, garbanzo beans, pintos, etc. If you’re not using canned drained beans (that can just be tossed into the rice w sautéed onion & garlic, salt, and pepper) Bagged beans must be soaked for hours prior and cooked separately before adding to the cooked rice. Lentils or split peas are also cooked in boiling salted water separately too, but take less time and don’t need soaking.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Baked beans and my fiancés mom makes rice with black beans sonetimes. Its yummy

• 6 months ago

any kind of dry bean works well.

I fry up onions, peppers and garlic, add the rice and saute that a bit in the oil I used to fry the onions.

then I add a can of diced tomatoes, and season the whole thing with salt, pepper, a bit of cumin and oregano and enough broth to cover the rice. I also add a can of beans. ANY beans you like will work, red beans, those beans in chili sauce, pinto beans, kidney beans, what ever.

Cover and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer till rice is tender and all the flavors have blended.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

In Iraq people eat baked beans with rice, Google search

Attachment image
  • 6 months ago

Red beans and rice is a favorite of mine with some chicken

• Jane
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Make a curry with dried ( cheapest, soak overnight before cooking) or tinned red beans, chickpeas, lentils ( red lentils don't even need soaking overnight, you can get a big bag for cheap in supermarkets and ethnic stores), cheap fresh, frozen or tinned veg, serve with rice.

Beans and lentils are high in protein, but you do need to get some vitamins via veg into your diet too- try cheap frozen veg like peas, spinach, sweetcorn.

Easy if you learn how to cook some basic dishes like lentil dhall, lots of recipes online.

• denise
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

CHICKPEAS, RED BEANS, ?

Afro-Caribbeans have rice and peas, you could Google a recipe.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

soy ................................................

• 6 months ago

All beans can be good mixed with rice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.