Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Is college just not for me?

I am a bad test taker and I already failed 3 classes. Thankfully, it is just a community college so I did'nt lose much money. I am also bad at writing essays. I'm not sure if I should continue or take a break?

• di

You have to determine what, exactly, you are attending college for! What do you want to do? Does one need a college education for that career? If not, investigate other training options. If so, get yourself over to your school's academic Dean to discuss the problems you are having - ask for a tutor or two - and what your goals are. Community colleges are excellent places to get started in learning how to go to college, and the administrative staff has a vested interest in your success - if they can help you, they will.

High Schools simply do not prepare the majority of their graduates with the skills necessary to navigate college. So ask for help in organizing yourself to study and prepare for tests and to manage your school, study & work schedules.

Failing courses taken at community college, where standards are typically below those of 4-yr universities, is a big deal. You've likely had the opportunity to take remedial English, composition, and similar English courses to help develop writing skills. Either you failed to do that, or you still don't have basic skills required of most high school students. If you really tried to pass your courses, did your homework on time, and are still lost, academics are not for you.

Your abilities lie elsewhere. Figure out what you can do & what you can learn to do, & pursue that. Perhaps your community college has some vocational/occupational training programs which would suit you.

you might not be the academic type.

maybe you should get checked for a learning disability

• :)

You just sound unmotivated or like you’re studying incorrectly. You don’t just fail for no reason.

• drip

It isn’t going to change if you go back. There will still be tests, that are a large part of your total class grade. There will still be papers and essays to write.

You may want to check your community colleges trade programs and two year career programs.

• .

Maybe so. If your GPA falls below 2.0, you will lose financial aid. One thing to ask yourself is whether you are really doing your best. Do you visit the writing center to get help improving your essays? Do you use the tutoring center to help with math?

And why didn't you just drop those classes when it became clear you would not pass?