Pete asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 months ago

The bottom of my vegetable steamer melted into the pot I was using, what should I do?

I just bought a new vegetable steamer basket. While using it like The idiot I am, I put the heat on too high and the plastic "legs" on the bottom of it had melted into the water without me noticing.

Does this completely ruin my batch of steamed veggies?

Should I use the steamer basket again or throw it away?

there is black residue at the bottom of my pot that I used to cook, is that completely ruined too?

This is the steamer itself:

https://www.amazon.com/Steamer-Stainless-Vegetable...

• IvaB

The pot will probably be ok with a vigorous cleaning,but obviously the "steamer" is ruined and should be thrown out.The vegetables aren't any good either,throw them too.Whenever steaming anything,adjust the heat to just high enough to keep the water/liquid at a simmer (you should see a little steam escaping,but no higher). btw,plastic legs on a steamer sounds very odd.

Toss it, and learn that when cooking, low or medium heat is required, never high heat unless your strictly bringing water to a boil. Even then, he heat’s reduced after adding whatever you’re cooking in hot water or using a steaming gadget.

The laws of physics indicate that no water was in the pot when your steamer legs melted. Water limits the highest temperature in a pot to 212° F. The melting point of most silicon cookware is somewhere in the 350 to 400° range.

Scrape the crap out of your pot and continue to use it. Scrape the melted silicone off your steamer and continue to use it. Don't continue to use it.

BTW, my first dry heat failure was an aluminum egg poacher. It melted, eggs to carbon, but no other harm to equipment or persons.

You dont put plastic into a boiling pot of water. I'm pretty sure you should toss your veggies

• denise

If you can clean the residue from the pan base, and the 'basket' is intact, apart from the legs, you could put some scrunched up foil in the pan base in the 'water', and rest the steamer on that.

That wasn’t a vegetable steamer, it was probably a colander.

Vegetable steamers will not have plastic parts.

Yes, your veges are ruined. As is the colander, and likely also the pot.

maybe you should get another one and be more careful next time

I wouldn't eat that or use that steamer again--ingesting plastic is never going to be ok.

• C

I don't think it'll kill you to eat your vegetables, but I'd replace the steamer with an all metal version as your steamer is not fit for purpose. If the water didn't boil dry I'd ask for a refund and I'd definitely leave an honest review. When you pick out your new steamer pay attention to the feet if you have nom-stick or enamel saucepans. A round shape or a V won't scratch the surface, but plain stubby legs might if you're not careful. I'd suggest cutting the silicon off the feet, but given how it melted I don't trust the central spindle/handle part to be made of high quality material.