Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 10 months ago

Worried that my son's girlfriend is having a negative impact on him?

I understand that at 17 he's nearly an adult and he gets to make his own decisions but, I'm just not a fan of this girl he's been dating. They met at some party in June and have been inseparable ever since. There's just been this change in his attitude, whereas he used to be easy-going, now everything is a fight. Getting him to pick up his room is a fight, asking him to do dishes some nights is a fight.

My 2 huge concerns are 1) It seems like whenever he's out with her, he comes home late with the excuse, " she wasn't ready" and 2) She's able to boss him around. She doesn't even try to hide it, she'll just order him to go get her a drink or a blanket or something.

Do I just need to hope that he breaks this off soon? All I ever get out of him is how pretty she is.

• Jr
    Favorite Answer

I really don’t think his girlfriend is the problem. I mean your son is barely 17 years old, he’s probably just going through that rebellious age teenagers go through. Some teenagers go through it at a younger age than others.

Sure it may seem rude for her to “order” him around, but have you considered maybe that’s just the way she is? Not all of us were raised in a perfect family that taught us how to say “please” or “thank you” but that doesn’t necessarily make them a bad person.

I mean no offense but it’s your son’s relationship. If he’s happy then who cares. Maybe that’s why he’s different towards you guys. He probably knows you guys don’t approve of his relationship and maybe he feels like he’s cornered with nobody to talk to.

Sometimes we want this “perfect” life for our kids but that’s just plain unrealistic. Try to listen to your son more often and don’t judge him too harshly. Just hear out what he has to say. I’m sure he’s going to feel more at ease around you guys.

Good luck

How many times are you going to ask this one?

• Nitro

The probability that this relationship won't last is 99%. He's only 17. He's going to have other experiences, and there will be other girls in his life. I wouldn't worry too much.