Cierra asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 11 months ago

If you are confronting someone and they say “I guess I should apologize for....” is that a real apology?

If you say I guess right before your apology is that apologizing well?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

It certainly could be. Not everyone feels at ease apologising, and saying 'I guess' is probably just the person feeling nervous and unsure how to say what they want to.

• 11 months ago

Yes, it is an apology. A non-apology would be someone saying they don't give a crap or not acknowledging the incident at all.

• 11 months ago

yes--it is an apology--a nervous, not well worded apology--but an apology none the less! The "I guess" part is really just a nervous tic--like, "ummmmm…."

• 11 months ago

Might as well accept it as an apology. Some people have a very hard time apologizing for anything, even when they're clearly in the wrong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

depends on the person, everyone is different

• 11 months ago

If you're confronting someone on principle it is a real apology no matter how they admit guilt of their own.

• 11 months ago

depends on the person, everyone is different

• 11 months ago

I can't be sure just from that little information. Sometimes even a sincere apology may be preceded by a qualifier, especially if it comes right after or during a disagreement, and the person hasn't had time to put together a polished apology.

Now, if the person says "I am sorry you are upset," THAT is not a real apology.

But your concern should be for your own etiquette more than the other person's.

• 11 months ago

No, not really.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.