Large bird fishing?!?

I recently saw a Great Blue Heron dive and catch quite a large (and colorful!) rainbow trout crosswise in it s bill, you could tell the fish was not happy and fighting hard to prevent becoming the bird’s dinner. It looked like the fish was putting up a real good struggle, but within about 30 seconds the flapping... show more I recently saw a Great Blue Heron dive and catch quite a large (and colorful!) rainbow trout crosswise in it s bill, you could tell the fish was not happy and fighting hard to prevent becoming the bird’s dinner. It looked like the fish was putting up a real good struggle, but within about 30 seconds the flapping thing was turned face-first and the heron swallowed the entire fish down its long/skinny neck the whole way!! The thing appeared to be wriggling down that long neck! I thought it was over, but once in the stomach you could see the desperate fish kicking much to the discomfort (it appeared) to the bird.

We didn’t stay much longer, I wonder if that was the end for the fish or if it still had a slim chance of survival?? Hard to imagine it would succumb so easily once down..Does it stand any slim chance of escaping (biting, the wriggling etc.) such a grim fate or at least damage the bird’s insides with that thrashing?? It must be a some meal for the bird and I wonder if it handles it bones and all as well?!
Update: This was on a river while I was fishing nearby I’ll add.