Cast Iron Pan questions?

I don't think a Cast Iron pan ought to be a rocket science... but I'm new to this. I used it for some meat and then I rinsed it with a tiny bit of detergent. think I got all the food off.

Then, it was cool, so I rubbed a layer of vegetable oil on the inside of the pan and heated it up till the oil began to really smoke. Then I let it cool.

I guess I let it cool for too long because I couldn't wipe up the excess oil. I heated it back up again and was able to wipe up some a bit of excess oil with a paper towel. but now the pan looks "clean" in some places and greasy in others.

Is this a problem?

It will be fine. Going forward, don't heat the oil. Once you've seasoned the pan -- or if you bought one that is already seasoned -- you just need to wipe a tiny bit of oil on the inner surface once it is clean and dry. Also, hand dry your pan -- don't leave in a rack to drip/air dry as you can get rust.

NEVER use soap to clean cast iron. The best thing is chain mail. Do not worry about how it looks now. It will even out.

Don't overthink it. I don't bother oiling between uses. I use soap and a plastic scrubbie. It will build up a coating as time goes on. I think I have about five cast iron skillets and pots.