John S asked in HealthDental · 6 months ago

I have a partial acrylic denture for two top front teeth. Rather than having the denture anchored to my exising teeth what would be wrong...?

...with making the overall denture smaller and then using Fixodent to attach it to the roof of my mouth thus avoiding the discomfort of the pressure the denture exerts on my teeth and the discomfort of the space the denture takes up in my mouth? I'm sure there is a good reason why this shouldn't be done.......but I have been unable to work out what it is as I am not a dentist!

• Tavy

Won't work I tried it when one of my clips broke off. Gravity will pull it down, if you have a low palate it will never stay up. It will come off onto your food. believe me there are reasons for a Dentist not doing it.

Try having a laugh with your friends and see how funny they find it when it falls out.

But my parents have full dentures top and bottom and they use Fixodent to secure them so shouldn't it work for this as well?

You could not get a secure fixing that way. There would be no strength in it, and you certainly would not be able to bite anything without it falling out.