Question about International driving license from AAA?

The website tell me to fill in the application and pay $20 to get the license and that s it. How long can I use that license for? Is there an expiration date?

• May

There is no such thing as an International drivers license. What you are referring to is a International driving permit. That permit is nothing but a translation of your drivers license into several different languages. The only countries that require a USA citizen to have such a permit is: Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, and Spain.

Chances are they will not even ask to see such a permit anyway. I have been in each of those countries several times and have never had to show such a permit. In my opinion IDP's are a waste of money.

I have heard that since February of 2019, the only place you can get a IDP is from a U.S. post office but I have not confirmed that.

Frequent international traveler

It is valid for as long as YOUR normal driving licence is valid

It is not a driving license, just a translation of your normal driving licence