Christians have been commanded not to marry people who are not Christians: 2 Corinthians 6:14. True or false?

2 Corinthians 6:14 DO NOT BE UNEQUALLY YOKED TOGETHER WITH UNBELIEVERS. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

The above Scripture (bold type) is God's commandment to the Christian followers of Christ who have been told not to marry outside of their faith.

However, there are some who have deliberately misconstrued and misrepresented the following Scripture with total disregard for the aforementioned:-

2 Corinthians 7:10-14 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

Presupposing that you have observed the rule in 2 Corinthians 6:14 then 1 Corinthians 7:10-14 shouldn't even be relevant at all.

Because the latter is a HYPOTHETICAL situation, which only arises as a contingency for those who have disregarded God's commandment that "Christians should never marry people who are not Christian".

Update:

Thus, the subsequent introduction of 2 Corinthians 7:10-14 is a dishonest MISUSE or misapplication of Scripture, because the contingency situation should never have arisen, assuming that one has obeyed God's first commandment that "Christians should never marry people who are not Christian".

Presupposing that one has obeyed God's first commandment (2 Corinthians 6:14) then the contingency situation of 1 Corinthians 7:10-14 should never be an issue at all.

Update 2:

This latter is only a contingency for the ignorant FEW who have disobeyed God's first commandment that "Christians should never marry people who are not Christian".

True or false?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You worship a false god

• Wrong. I am no loser if I reject people to whom I am not attracted. You are the only loser, because such a rejection will have the most devastating impact for your country. On the contrary, I am a winner, knowing that my future spouse is European, which is far superior to the CHINK INFERIOR RACE.

• Jake
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

By reciting the rosary each day with care, a person can better know the true meanings of Bible verses.

• 4 months ago

False. It does not say not to be yoked with unbelievers. It says not to be unequally yoked. If your prospective spouse will not try to undermine or destroy your faith, go ahead and marry. After all, elsewhere in 1 Cor., it says that the unbelieving spouse is sanctified by the believing spouse.

• BJ
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Absolutely true. Why?

The Bible’s warning spares us the painful consequences that often result when a Christian yokes themself with an unbeliever.

There is, the possibility that the unbeliever will turn the Christian mate from serving God.

What about today? The moral standards of worldly people are a far cry from those of the Bible. No matter how clean-cut some worldly people may appear to be, they do not have a Bible-trained, Christian conscience.

Hence, the Christian who yokes himself or her to an unbeliever often exposes himself to much heartache and grief.

Some face repeated pressure to share in perverted sex practices. And some even complain of loneliness.

In expanded form the principle might be expressed thus: Do not form any relationship, whether temporary or permanent, with unbelievers that would lead to a compromise of Christian standards or jeopardize consistency of Christian witness.

And why such separation? Because the unbeliever does not share the Christian’s standards, sympathies, or goals.

Marry in the Lord is the apostle’s admonition, which is in harmony with the practice of ancient worshipers of God in marrying only those who were likewise true worshipers. 1Co 7:39

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

It is highly questionable and unwise to marry an unbeliever, but not prohibited in this passage per se. But if it were sinful, then it would be equally sinful for two unbelievers to marry too. 1 Cor. 7 provides teaching on the actually married when one spouse is an unbeliever.

• The fact that President Chimp face is hiding behind the Duke of Edinburgh is testament to the fact that one race is clearly superior to the other.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

This is what occupies your mind? The bibble-babble's crap?

You must be truly flucked in the head.

• You might get away with the murder of a prostitute, but you won't get away with this comment. Which is additional to all the other comments.

• 4 months ago

😄 We're in a different era where the LGBTQ community is now going into the ministry. 🥴

Some old rules were added in by man with personal vendettas anyway.

It's upto Christians, to seek out what is truth and what is false. 🥴

If it's any consolation? Am a Christian who doesn't believe in marriage. It's a traditional trend that's breaking.

Doesn't make us any less Christian. Just means we pick and choose what's right and what's wrong. My particular Christian branch, studies the bible word for word. So... I'm confident in knowing what's kosher and what's bs.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

True. I wouldn't want to marry someone who doesn't share my culture, especially Jews, who think Jesus is an idolater who was rightfully executed, and that gentiles are animals in human form, created by God to be slaves to Jews. It makes more sense for a Christian to date a Muslim than a Jew. At least Islam isn't racist and Muslims respect Jesus.

• Daddio
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Maybe you are married and one becomes a Christian later

• A Third world answer to a first world question. The Bible clearly belongs to the First world league of nations. But the N-word clearly belongs to the Third world, which is where they should STAY.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.