cong asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

What would happen if I ate or licked the charcoal used for cooking barbecue?

I here that charcoal is edible and absorbs toxins and then you poo the stuff. Is charcoal really edible i never knew it was

11 Answers

Relevance
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

You would win this years award for "biggest moron of the year" Yay you ?

• Login to reply the answers
  • james
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Burnt sugar is often used as a food color. It is burnt to charcoal then fine ground. Makes many chocolate cakes a nice black. Coconut hull charcoal the dark brown or black is harmless to eat. Many a small child has put some in there mouth with no harm. But briquets like Americans use. Pressed into blocks & glued together with burning fluid in them. I would avoid. So go natural charcoal. Also know your wood when using. There are different flavors. Coconut Hull & Mango are mild. Red coco wood is harsh bitter can be very alkali Morening wood charcoal is mineral rich. Might be a health gain there.

• 6 months ago

OMG is this the new trend? Eating charcoal...what the hell toxins are you getting rid of with charcoal that the starter fluid in the charcoal wouldn't add to the issue??

If you want to "detox" don't add goofy crap to your diet.

Drink lots of water, eat lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains.

Stop taking drugs and drinking alcohol.

• 6 months ago

Only activated charcoal is safe for consumption and it doesnt actually work as a detox unless you take copious amounts of it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

What would "HAPPEN" if i ate or LICKED a Charcoal used for cooking barbecue ? the word is BRIQUETTE ..

.. beginning is what are charcoal BRIQUETTES made out of .... KINGSTON is the major brand in the USA ..

PHARMACEUTICAL CHARCOAL aka ACTIVATED Charcoal is mostly made from COCONUT comes in a powder to be mixed with water

. according to www.bonappetit.com TEST kitchens ... such BRIQUETTES are comprised of BITS of CHARCOAL and STARCH ( as a BINDER ) + SAWDUST + SODIUM NITRATE ( helps it burn better )

to quote the tester " for the same reason SPAM is cheaper than whole ham .

.. as to HAPPEN ... ones mouth teeth tongue and saliva might be BLACK actually CONSUMED might cause some INTESTINAL distress ...

. perhaps POISON control has had a incident where a TODDLER ATE BRIQUETTE is aware of the result

• denise
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you crave it, I know its full of minerals.

If you must, please make sure its a cold piece.

• 6 months ago

The charcoal used for bbq is not the kind you use to absorb toxins.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Activated Charcoal is an anti-poison.

It is used to settle upset stomachs.

The usual homemade Activated Charcoal is by Charring Bread in the Toaster.

The conglomeration of whatever that is on a BBQ Grill might not be safe. It is from Meat, and insect larva. Not Grain.

• 6 months ago

I don't expect it would taste very good.

• 6 months ago

A lot of charcoals are made from materials that might have unsafe materials in them (toxic metals for one). Arsenic for example was used for decades by foresters to control pests. It got into the ground and then into the water, from there into the trees.

Some is made from recycled materials and also might have harmful materials in them.

The only safe charcoals will be those tested for toxic substances and these are found in some health food stores.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.