Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Can I sue my doctor? UK?

I am getting symptoms that are getting worse and worse. My doctor keeps saying it's just mental. I keep telling him it is not. Over a year, my symptoms have worsened considerably and I am in agony. If it is proven that I have an underlying condition that the doctor has failed to detect and treat, would I have grounds to sue?

• Tavy

You can sue anyone if you have enough money. Very few UK Solicitors will take on the medical profession as they have insurance.

You CAN go to another Doctor, we all have that choice here.

UK

• Biff

If you are genuinely in agony you will be prepared to endure a long wait in A&E. Suing your GP won't help.

Go into town with your chequebook and pay for an hour with a solicitor and ask their advice. That's the only way you are going to know for certain.

You would have to have proof of negligence- not just that his opinion was wrong. Meanwhile, you need to get some help. There's a show called Diagnosis on Netflix where people who have not gotten effective treatment are helped in figuring out what they have- sometimes by people who read about their case in the NY Times. There are plenty of people who go undiagnosed because they don't get to the right specialist or get the right tests. I don't know exactly how things work in the UK- I know you're assigned to a doctor, but surely there's a way you can see a different doctor.

heard of getting a second opinion? you're not stuck with that doctor, he sounds incompetent, go an get a second opinion from a different gp.

No that's entirely the wrong approach. Even if you sued and were successful, which is highly unlikely, his professional indemnity insurance would cover his loss. So it would not solve your problem.

All you need to do is change your doctor to another one at the surgery.

Yes, you CAN sue if you can PROVE a Physician did NOT do something he/she should have done OR DID do something that he/she should NOT have done.

The problem is proof. You would need at least one other Physician to testify against the first Physician, and Physicians are reluctant to do so.