Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 5 months ago

Was I in the wrong here?

I was out driving, going at around 25-35 in a 25 zone, when I saw a woman coming from the sidewalk. (After this happened it occurred to me that she was approaching her vehicle that was parked on her side of the street) but instead of walking to it she started jogging to it, and entered the street in a way that looked like she would run into it so I hit the breaks (I was probably going 25 at the time.

I had noticed a minute or so before, that a vehicle behind me was riding my *** even when I was going 10 over. I don't know if it qualified as tailgating but it sure as hell looked close to it.

When I hit the breaks the car behind me blared its horn. I guess because they had to stop suddenly and they were too close to me.

Would I be at fault here? They really seemed to be in a hurry, but it's not my fault they were following too damn close to my car. I'd rather they hit me than me hitting a pedestrian.

Favorite Answer

Nope, you didn't do anything wrong. The idiot behind you did.

Had you hit the pedidiot, even if she darted out in front of you without warning, you would have been 100% responsible. That's because, in any court of law, pedestrians are actually expected to know nothing about the rules and dangers of motorized traffic. They're assumed to be complete morons, because the assumption is usually accurate.

Licensed drivers, however, are expected to know and obey all the rules of the road. One of those rules, a really common one, is that you're always supposed to leave a safe stopping distance between you and whatever is directly in front of you. That's why following too close (tailgating) is against the law everywhere in the civilized world.

When a rear-end collision happens, the vehicle that did the rear-ending is 100% responsible every time, no exceptions and no excuses. If the other idiot had crashed into you from behind, it would have been totally his fault. No matter how he argued against it, no matter how many excuses he came up with, nothing would change that fact.

• H

The driver behind is at fault. It's common sense to keep a safe distance so you have enough time to react.

• zipper

The speed limit is 25 and your going between that and 35; FOOL YOUR IN THE WRONG!

You spotted a potential hazard and reacted, totally the following driver's fault if he had hit you.

No. They were. They shouldn't have been too close, they shouldn't have honked, and you were right to brake.

You braked to avoid the potential of hitting a pedestrian, I would agree with what you did.

Yes you are are wrong and should seek professional psychiatric help immediately.